Stain on stairs

mizzamouse

Silver Supporter
Jul 10, 2017
Woburn/MA
Hello,

After cleaning the pool of all the leaves when we opened for the season, we were left with a small stain on the top stair of the pool. At first, this looked like an organic stain because parts of the stain were shaped like leaves; however, they haven't gone away after a few SLAM attempts. I've also tried to take a chlorine puck and place it on the stain for 30 seconds to see if that removes it and it didn't. The stain also has a rough texture. Any ideas on how to clear this up or what this could be?
IMG_7134.jpg

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
I think the rough texture is your plaster, not the stain and the stain is in some of the pockets of the plaster. I would run your FC level a few ppm above target for the season and see if the stain fades. Otherwise this is what aging plaster does.

mizzamouse

Silver Supporter
Jul 10, 2017
Woburn/MA
Thanks!
The plaster is only a couple years old. I usually run FC a couple above target so curious to see if it fades toward the end of the season or if there is something else going on.

I think the rough texture is your plaster, not the stain and the stain is in some of the pockets of the plaster. I would run your FC level a few ppm above target for the season and see if the stain fades. Otherwise this is what aging plaster does.

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
You can always rub a nylon with some crushed up vitamin C tablets in it over the area to see if it lightens the stain. If they get lighter or disappear, then it was some localized iron staining.

Reactions: onBalance