Sep 12, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi everyone,

Pool was opened last weekend to zero CYA. I dropped a couple of pucks of stabilizer in the skimmer ( Stab Tabs ) and after 5 days these things are only half way dissolved. I checked my CYA using my Taylor test kit and I can still see the black dot with the entire narrow tube filled.
I've just heated the pool to take the kids swimming this weekend but it looks like these things will take another week to dissolve. So thoughts on whether I should continue with the tabs or toss them and add some in instant conditioner tonight? My concern is that the pucks have added stabilizer which is not yet showing up on the tests and then adding instant conditioner liquid stabilizer will overshoot my CYA levels!

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: walker614jw
The heat will definitely help them dissolve faster - cold water doesn't dissolve them well. But I would add some CYA via separate stabilizer and get to chlorinating with liquid chlorine instead. You should be able to figure out what the pucks would have added to your pool, and just figure your pool already has that much in it. You'll be a bit low since they didn't dissolve all the way, but you can add more, or finish dissolving the pucks to know you hit your CYA target.

Also, pucks in the skimmer is probably not the best idea. They're pretty acidic and if the pump stops you'll be filling your skimmer with acid. Just a thought!

The heat will definitely help them dissolve faster - cold water doesn't dissolve them well. But I would add some CYA via separate stabilizer and get to chlorinating with liquid chlorine instead. You should be able to figure out what the pucks would have added to your pool, and just figure your pool already has that much in it. You'll be a bit low since they didn't dissolve all the way, but you can add more, or finish dissolving the pucks to know you hit your CYA target.

Also, pucks in the skimmer is probably not the best idea. They're pretty acidic and if the pump stops you'll be filling your skimmer with acid. Just a thought!
Thanks IceShadow. I didn't even think of acid in the skimmer. The things you learn here! I'm going to grab some liguid stabilizer, I don't have the patience for these pucks and the acid turns me off. :cautious:
I've only use liquid chlorine for the past week and haven't turned on my SWG. Once i get the CYA levels up and my chlorine adjusted based on the ideal chlorine/cya level, I will fire it up.

You can just figure the water as having the CYA the pucks would have added, add the liquid stabilizer, and test. If you're low you can add a little more. :)

You can just figure the water as having the CYA the pucks would have added, add the liquid stabilizer, and test. If you're low you can add a little more. :)
Alright, I added a full gallon of the liquid stabilizer last night. Performed an OCLT, for practice and I am trying to become a bigger pool nerd. FC was 4 and CC was .5 (haven't been swimming yet). This mornings results:

FC = 4
CC = .5
CYA = 40 or 50 (I'm a stickler with seeing that black dot so it may vary slightly if I am rounding up)
PH = 8
TA = 70
CH = 170

I added some liquid chlorine to the pool to bring the FC up to 8. Heater is on and I am already preparing for our first pool day, hopefully the numbers look good for swimming :p

Tonight I'll be turning on the SWG. Curious, what are the reasons the CYA/Chlorine levels are different between SWG vs Liquid Chlorine? If i switch to SWG it looks like i will need to bump up my CYA again. :confused:

I must admit the pool always has a beautiful shimmer and shine to it when I use liquid chlorine.

Curious, what are the reasons the CYA/Chlorine levels are different between SWG vs Liquid Chlorine? If i switch to SWG it looks like i will need to bump up my CYA again. :confused:
Because SWGs add chlorine in little bits over the course of the day a lower overall level is required. This compares to adding 1x/day and letting the level drift down to SWG levels 24hrs later.

It's up to you whether to add more CYA or not, but generally people find their FC levels hold better at a lower SWG setting with a higher, but still manageable, CYA level.

You have the tools you need to discover for yourself what works best in your pool. Keep good notes! (y)

Reactions: Northern cannonball
Because SWGs add chlorine in little bits over the course of the day a lower overall level is required. This compares to adding 1x/day and letting the level drift down to SWG levels 24hrs later.

It's up to you whether to add more CYA or not, but generally people find their FC levels hold better at a lower SWG setting with a higher, but still manageable, CYA level.

You have the tools you need to discover for yourself what works best in your pool. Keep good notes! (y)
Good info thanks MITBeta!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.