Stabilizer/Cynauric Acid slow dissolve problem... Used granules instead of liquid....

Billytk03z

Jul 2, 2019
Clifton, nj
I upgraded to an Intex Ultra XTR 18x52 pool from my last years Summer Waves... I use the Intex Saltwater/Sand filter... Anyway, last year I had zero issues, got everything balanced and easily maintained.... However, last year I used liquid Stabilizer/CYA and this year with everything closed in my area due to Covid I was only able to get a hold of CYA in granule form... I followed directions by adding the necessary amount to hot water and then after awhile added directly to my pool... As you are probably guessing I have piles of CYA granules sitting on the bottom of my pool not dissolving... I decided to a backwash/rinse of Sand filter and then vacuumed the CYA from the bottom of pool directly into my Intex sand filter and I'm letting my Sand filter run for a straight 24 hours.... Im hoping that the CYA will dissolve and disperse over time from the Sand Filter... Is this ok or did I screw up and harm my filter.. Everything seems to be running fine and there is no PSI increase, etc..... thoughts?????????

As long as you can wait a good 7 days or more it should be mostly dissolved in the filter.

In the future use the TFP recommended sock method of adding CYA -=----

Reactions: Billytk03z
You're not the first to discover CYA doesn't dissolve well and end up having to vacuum it up. Not ideal but better than leaving it on the liner. You get points for having the foresight to backwash first so hopefully you won't need another until after it's dissolved. And more for planning to leave the pump run.

Just so you know.... the best way to add the various chemicals is in Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool

Reactions: Billytk03z
Thank you for the fast responses!!!

Yup, I just found out about the sock method after the fact.. UGH!!!

So there won't be any harm/problem to my sand filter?... Everything should dissolve and disperse with no issues and I can still run the salt generator with no issues while the CYA dissolves in the sand filter.. correct????

I have never used the liquid juice guys, does it work, is it any good. Sounds easier then babysitting sock hanging ? Thanks
We refer to it as Liquid Gold. It works, but it's expensive. It also separates in the bottle, so if you're using less than a full bottle, you might not get what you want out of it.

Granules in a sock being pummeled by the return or with a constant stream of water across it in the skimmer will dissolve in a day or less, especially if the sock gets a squeeze every few hours. That's not too time-consuming.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
used my spare skimmer basket with a hairnet in it. Sat the basket on the steps about 12 inches in front of a return jet - directed right at the side of the basket.

As John Madden would say... "BOOOM!"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.