Sta-Rite Intelliflo VSF

Big Nodge

Gold Supporter
May 25, 2022
Southern NH
I am in the process of upgrading my pool equipment. I am doing a full Pentair automation upgrade with new pump, filter, swg, and Intellicenter. I was planning to go with a standard Intelliflo VSF (I know we don’t really care about flow at TFP but I am not sure you can even find the VS any more). Either way, my store cannot find a standard VSF (011056) nor can I online. But they do have a Sta-Rite VSF in stock (013004). From my research the Sta-Rite has some auto-adapting flow rate mode that all my TFP instincts tell me is a bunch of bull. But, it’s only a couple hundred bucks more and they have one, and finding the pump is the only thing holding up my project. The store tells me I can still just use speed if I want and the Intellicenter will be handling all that anyway. I am a trust but verify kind of guy, anything wrong with using the Sta-Rite Intelliflo other than burning a couple hundred bucks to keep things moving?

The starite VSF used to be identical to the IntelliFlo VSF except it came in black.

The Sta-Rite model has changed some based on the discussion below.

It should still be fine for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Nodge
my store cannot find a standard VSF (011056) nor can I online. But they do have a Sta-Rite VSF in stock (013004). .... anything wrong with using the Sta-Rite Intelliflo other than burning a couple hundred bucks to keep things moving?
Pentair has owned Sta-Rite for almost 20 years. The Pentair IntelliFlo VSF #011056 and Sta-Rite IntelliPro VSF #013004 are basically identical except for color (Pentair tan vs. Sta-Rite black).

I'm very happy with my 013004. Your store is telling the truth: You can program RPMs exactly like a VS pump. But I also like being able to program gallons per minute for some purposes. For example, it's nice to know that running at 25 GPM for five hours will turn over my pool's entire 7500-gallon volume. And it's convenient to set the flow for the spillway circuit to the lowest rate that produces a nice laminar effect, and to know that the spillway will always run at that rate regardless of filter pressure, etc.

Anyway, to answer your question, I see nothing wrong with buying the Sta-Rite equivalent of the Pentair pump. Same quality, same warranty, etc.

I had an intellipro and found it changed so this time I got the intelliflo which was like my original pump. The new intellipro seemed more complicated than it needed to be with the steel band and it didn't seem as beefy.

Very excited for a modern system.
To be clear, it appears they put new electronics on the cheaper version of their old pump. The last version of the intellipro was a black intelliflo. This version of the intellipro is their old budget model with a new LCD on it.

I really question the easy open clamp. Why are they making it so easy to replace half the pump, or its parts ? The intelliflo is bolted shut as you are likely to never open it up IMO. Besides the concerning reasons for the clamp, it's chintzy and a future fail point.
So I changed over the intelliflo to keep what I had.

I do not believe the Sta-Rite is junk, by any means. I just don't think this pump is as good as the intelliflo. If supply issues forced me there against my wishes, then I'd rest well on the Sta-Rite name.

The SuperMax and SuperFlow are the same pump, different color.

The IntelliFlow and IntelliPro are different pumps. The Intelliflow is the oldest design (originally a Purex WhisperFlow) that has stood the test of time for at least 25+ years. The only real change is the the lid. The IntelliPro is based on the Max-E-Pro, a slightly improved on version (just the lid and connections) of a design (Max-E-Glass 2) that is about the same age.

Both are excellent, high-head, pumps that use the same motor (different color). While the Sta-Rite may seem more complicated, it is actually easier to service when the time comes. I work on both and have always preferred to work on a Sta-Rite. For one, I would much rather remove one band-clamp than 6 bolts. Also, for some reason, a seal leak seems to cause more problems with a WhisperFlow's sealplate than a Sta-Rite. Just my opinion. I have had both on my pool at one time or another (I used to like to try things out before selling them) and work on an equal number of both in the field.

Thx for the clarification, I didn’t totally follow your first post newdude. I think this is just the reality of the supply chain situation so I’ll prob go with it. Original plan was the Pentair but that’s 2022 for you. By modern system I was more referring to the automation/swg etc, which is all waiting on sourcing a pump. Right now I have a single speed pump and standard timer.

Edit: just saw your post poolman. Great info! Thanks so much. I will rest easy with the sta rite.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.