Gold Supporter
Jun 4, 2019
Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I currently have an old Hayward H250 heater with a leaking exchanger and quite a bit of rust and rot inside. I've been debating replacing the exchanger or just replacing the whole thing. Exchanger is just under $1K for the part and I would install it myself. The rust concerns me, but I don't see any of it that would actually affect the operation or structural integrity. I figured some 1/4" mesh across bottom to cover rot and keep vermin out will suffice. I could likely get several more years out of it with the new exchanger.

So, moving on, I came across a sweet deal on a new Sta-Rite Max E Therm 400BTU heater. Like almost half off.

Do I bother with my old Hayward and save some money (no plumbing changes needed either) or buy the Sta-Rite? I'm not very familiar with the brand and my searching here provided several repairs/fixed needed, but not much on the way of product reputation.

Any suggestions and/or advice?

Is the heater new? Does it come with a Pentair warranty?

A StarRte heater is identical internally to a Pentair MasterTemp heater juts in a different form factor. Both are made by Pentair and most internal parts are interchangeable. A couple of years ago Pentair bout StaRite, kept their model heater, and repackaged it into the MasterTemp.

Is the heater new? Does it come with a Pentair warranty?

A StarRte heater is identical internally to a Pentair MasterTemp heater juts in a different form factor. Both are made by Pentair and most internal parts are interchangeable. A couple of years ago Pentair bout StaRite, kept their model heater, and repackaged it into the MasterTemp.
I'd say no on the warranty because it's a private seller. It is new in the box though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.