Sta-Rite Filter Leaking - Glue on Clamps

bhollehday

May 22, 2020
Palmdale, CA
I just wanted to run this by before I got too confident on it. I’ve been battling a small leak on this cartridge. I’ve replaced O-ring tried magic lube carefully tightened all clamps using mallet and no avail. On the back of each one of the clamps it looks like there’s some sort of glue residue that is pretty thick. Almost like somebody used silicone to try and seal it up when putting the clamps back on. There are no cracks anywhere that I could see. So my last thought is that the clamps are bottoming out on the glue before they can pinch the upper cover enough to really seal it well. So I was going to scrape all this glue off and then try again. Anyone know why this glue might be there?

Attachments

• 9968A774-B228-4266-BA3A-2E6FED7A0220.jpeg
    9968A774-B228-4266-BA3A-2E6FED7A0220.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 2B6AA078-3A84-4259-9488-6D3C62051CEA.jpeg
    2B6AA078-3A84-4259-9488-6D3C62051CEA.jpeg
    618 KB · Views: 23
  • 90619C90-9D3E-4A36-8B76-5AE839DC0EB0.jpeg
    90619C90-9D3E-4A36-8B76-5AE839DC0EB0.jpeg
    675.4 KB · Views: 23
Hey B !!! Some things are done by folks who just shouldn’t be doing said things. If they were trying to stop previos leaks, I’d expect a line of silicone, not blobs. It wouldn’t work, but at least i could see the thinking. The metal T thingies hold the clamps on until you tighten them, there is zero need to hack them. So I can’t even see a misguided attempt here.

Remove it and see what happens. A standard issue puddy / painters knife should do it easily. Also, don’t don’t forget to clean both channels for the O-ring, especially the top half. When you take it apart you set it down and it will collect lots of dirt/ mulch that you might not think of as you put the lid back on.

Hey B !!! Some things are done by folks who just shouldn’t be doing said things. If they were trying to stop previos leaks, I’d expect a line of silicone, not blobs. It wouldn’t work, but at least i could see the thinking. The metal T thingies hold the clamps on until you tighten them, there is zero need to hack them. So I can’t even see a misguided attempt here.

Remove it and see what happens. A standard issue puddy / painters knife should do it easily. Also, don’t don’t forget to clean both channels for the O-ring, especially the top half. When you take it apart you set it down and it will collect lots of dirt/ mulch that you might not think of as you put the lid back on.
So I am still battling this. I replaced the oring which was new thinking maybe it was mfg defect on size or something but same issue. I lived the oring and tight the clamps tapping on them with rubber mallet. Is it possible I’m over tightening these things?? I’ve inspected for warping cracks and I clean the valleys every time before sealing it up to no avail

Is it possible I’m over tightening these things?
I don't think so, but it's possible tightening one loosens 3 more. My brand new one was dripping alot and I had to give all of the clamps some love, several times each. It seemed like it would never end but eventually they were all tight.

I’ll bring out the channel locks again and give that a try. Thank you
Tightening in a star pattern works well and you just keep changing spots until they are all tight. It seems like it takes forever but it's only a couple of minutes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.