Sta-rite cartridge filter

Jun 13, 2018
Northbrook, IL
I have a sta-rite system 3 cartridge filter. With new filters put in about a month ago. I've been cleaning before and after every swim (a bit excessive). Our water has been sort of cloudy.

These couple of weeks we hardly got in the pool. And noticed all the sediments dropped to the bottom and the pool looked amazing. Crystal clear. So I decided to vacuum that out through my freshly cleaned filter. Within minutes the return water was slight brown. It was as it the filter didn't exist.

This is the filter I have. https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Rite-S7M120-System-Modular-Cartridge/dp/B00768TP7I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532708183&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=starite+pool+filter+cartridge&psc=1

Is there anything I can do beside discharging the water? Different cartridge?This has been frustrating.

I have a sta-rite system 3 cartridge filter. With new filters put in about a month ago. I've been cleaning before and after every swim (a bit excessive). Our water has been sort of cloudy.

These couple of weeks we hardly got in the pool. And noticed all the sediments dropped to the bottom and the pool looked amazing. Crystal clear. So I decided to vacuum that out through my freshly cleaned filter. Within minutes the return water was slight brown. It was as it the filter didn't exist.

This is the filter I have. https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Rite-S7M120-System-Modular-Cartridge/dp/B00768TP7I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532708183&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=starite+pool+filter+cartridge&psc=1

Is there anything I can do beside discharging the water? Different cartridge?This has been frustrating.

Burger King:

Please add your pool specifications in your signature. Are you cleaning your filter daily because you feel it is the best choice you can make , or because you have algae and your pressure keeps rising. can you please describe your equipment and exactly what is going on with your pool. Unless you are in the stages of a SLAM, you should not be cleaning your filter daily. The cartridge filters, like any filter is there to stop debris and dirt from entering back in the pool. You may just need to stop cleaning the filter and allow it to do its job. Only clean when needed and pressure rises 25% above normal starting PSI.

We have the same cartridge system and, just for reference, clean it 1 or 2 times a summer and have a 19k pool. We clean it when the pressure goes up 25%. If you need to clean it twice every time you swim you must be totally sick of that by now. The whole process isn’t too bad, except for putting those darn clamps back on. Oh, hate that.

You probably have algae bc of the cloudiness. An OCLT will tell you. Your filter isn’t going to remove living algae, just dead. So, if you have algae, SLaM and then let the filter do it’s job. THEN you’ll probably need to clean. Hopefully that’s the last time before you close the pool.

The filter has a hard time picking up those deal algaes. I only have 3 water returns at the top part of the pool and no out lines at the bottom. Which means I can only use the vacuum line to get to the dead algae. Should I buy an automatic vacuum? Will that solve this issue?

- - - Updated - - -

I also have the starite filter and hated the clamps but found this
https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Tork-MTJ-770-Pool-Equipement-Sockets/dp/B003MB75N4
which makes it so much easier for clamps.

Good find! That seems very helpful!

The filter has a hard time picking up those deal algaes. I only have 3 water returns at the top part of the pool and no out lines at the bottom. Which means I can only use the vacuum line to get to the dead algae. Should I buy an automatic vacuum? Will that solve this issue?

- - - Updated - - - Good find! That seems very helpful!

Your filter should not have a hard time picking up dead algae. Dead algae is hard to see, while green algae is easy to visually inspect on the cartridge filter. Once you rinse the cartridges clean, and the pool water is crystal clear, you have passed all 3 criteria, then do not allow your levels to fall below the minimums. You may even consider increasing your minimum by 1 ppm based on your CYA. in addition, target your CYA 10 ppm higher than you are testing. In theory, you are keeping your minimums at 2 ppm higher.

As mentioned previously, please add your signature. It saves members a lot of time in trying to figure out your system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your filter should not have a hard time picking up dead algae. Dead algae is hard to see, while green algae is easy to visually inspect on the cartridge filter. Once you rinse the cartridges clean, and the pool water is crystal clear, you have passed all 3 criteria, then do not allow your levels to fall below the minimums. You may even consider increasing your minimum by 1 ppm based on your CYA. in addition, target your CYA 10 ppm higher than you are testing. In theory, you are keeping your minimums at 2 ppm higher.

As mentioned previously, please add your signature. It saves members a lot of time in trying to figure out your system.

My apologies.. signature updated. I'll try targeting my ppm 2 higher. But if there are dead algaes (light brown usually) and I run it through the filter, should the return water be clear?

My apologies.. signature updated. I'll try targeting my ppm 2 higher. But if there are dead algaes (light brown usually) and I run it through the filter, should the return water be clear?

A SLAM takes time. Your return water should be clearer than the pool water, but I doubt you will be able to tell until the whole pool is crystal clear. Have you been taking pictures (daily) of the same spot and same time? In addition, how long have you been SLAM'ing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.