Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I have a 1.5HP Pentair pump. Label says it draws 9.6-8.8 Amps. My electric utility recently installed a smart electrical meter that gives me electric usage in 15 minute intervals. So I thought I would take a look.

Right now my pump runs 23 hours a day and is off from 3AM-4AM. That let me look at the electrical usage in my house at that time and before and after. The pump raises my usage by 0.5 KW per 15 minutes, or 2 KW/hour.

That electrical usage agrees exactly with what the data plate says. 2.000 watts/hour divided by 230 Volts = 8.7 amps.

I pay 13.4 cents/KWH. So that pump running 23 hours a day costs me about $200/month.

I am working on getting an Intelliflo VS pump installed ASAP. It should pay for itself in under 2 years. And my current pump is a few years old anyway.

Data for anyone on the fence about the electrical cost of s SS pump.

Your pump is actually 2.21 hp.

A rule of thumb is 1000w per hp. So your analysis is in line with that.

Also don't forget many utilities will offer sizable rebates for switching to a VSP. Mine gave me $400.

Unfortunately in the Peoples Republic of NJ they are not so generous.

My question is, why are you running your pump 23 hours a day? I could see if it was a VS pump, but a traditional one. :scratch:

Pool just opened this past week. Making various chemical adjustments and getting things cleaned up.

Reactions: Arizonarob
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.