Reno, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just installed a brand new in ground cover. Little ******** chewed a 10" long hole along the crease. Besides shooting them is there a repellant that anyone can recommend to apply to the cover? It's right where the cover drops to the water closest to the underground reel so it never really goes out onto the water. If I leave it open slightly to keep the hole on concrete I'm afraid they will start a new hole.

Sorry you are having to go through this. Can you take a photo that best shows the damage? Not too close so we can see as the cover rolls into the vault.

Keep in mind that you may have to discourage the critters before they get to the cover. Anything you spray on the cover, as it rolls up will touch the underside of the cover. If you get what I'm saying. So whatever you spray on the cover will touch the pool water. Just a thought.

Yes, I thought about the underside but using cayenne pepper or something in that area weekly shouldn't be any great amount in the water.
Also, it looks like they started on the other crease. I guess I'm going to leave it open more often.2022-06-15 16.40.19.jpg2022-06-15 16.40.24.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure you could get that patched. However, how long have you had that cover? I ask only to determine if it isn't stretched out side to side to get it stretched out so that there aren't any creases to chew on. If within warranty you might get the installer to take it up (after patching) and lay it on the reel again removing any extra material. Just a thought, I don't really know.

When I close my cover, I will have to check out if I have a large areas with a crease like that. Fortunately, I/we don't have any critters around our development.

I'm guessing they are after the water. Is there other water available near by?
You will not win a squirrel battle, trust me they are smart and they are everywhere. I suggest leaving pans of water in your yard to see if they can be redirected. Netting above your cover suspended with pool toys may confuse them. If that doesn't help then maybe get a couple of fast dogs or cats who love to chase them out of your yard. Any attempt to bait, remove or hunt them will not be a solution as the small squirrel free zone will be filled soon by hungry neighboring squirrels. The struggle is real.

Reactions: Newdude
It was put on in September and closed up for the winter the same week. This is my 4th or 5th cover in 20 years. Biggest mistake was not getting a rectangle pool so the cover could go under the coping instead of on top of the concrete. This is not a warranty claim, already checked. Patching on the crease could be an issue per my cover guy. I've always had creases on all my covers. I think because I drop the water a foot for winter it needs a little extra fabric. I use a tarp on top of the cover during the winter for the last couple of years. I should be able to get more years now but the squirrel's are screwing that up.

I had that two winters. I open my cover and install a safety cover. I put a few bags of moth balls in the pit. It stopped, but I also stopped doing that and it hasn't started again. So it could just be coincidence. Mine was not at a crease, so I could patch it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.