Squealing pump

Frank in FL

Jul 3, 2019
Florida
I’ve got a service rep coming out tomorrow to look at my pump. It squeals for about 3 seconds upon starting up and shutting down. Also squeals constantly at low, 1000 ish rpms. Showed the rep a video and he thinks it’s a bearing or rod? Said he may have to replace the motor.
Since this new pump is less than 30 days old and it’s been squealing since day one, should I demand an entire new pump or just go with a new motor?

How has yalls experience been with jandy pumps?

Frank in FL

Jul 3, 2019
Florida
Service rep told me that the squeals when pump start up and shuts off is normal. Also, the constant squeal at low rpms is normal. Very very interesting

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
No way that is normal on a new ish motor. (even if it was, I'd get a different brand)

They owe you a new one that doesn't make noise.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
Sometimes a seal can chirp a little bit at low speed. Sometimes it will go away as the surfaces polish each other from rotating.

I would try a new seal.

mguzzy

Jul 8, 2015
OV, CA
If it was an old motor/pump I would try a new seal.. On a unit less than 30 days out of the box I would demand a new unit. Something else may have gotten through Q/A at the factory if it is doing that as a brand new unit.... just my two cents....And ask to talk to a different rep, or his supervisor.

Frank in FL

Jul 3, 2019
Florida
Builders came by today to put some chems in the pool. Apparently the regional rep from Zodiac called them about my email. They told me the rep wanted to make sure "they were not getting taken" in reference to my pump. When the builder asked for clarification, the rep said that based on my serial number, the pump was built in 2014!
My builder explained that the pool is only one month old. So apparently the builders distributor was holding onto a pump all these years or Zodiac was holding it and shipped it to the distributor.
When the builder came here, I saw that the pump was sealed in a box with all paper work, foam etc etc. Didn't appear anything was funny.

The builder said I am getting a brand new pump and apologized for this mishap. I could tell they were embarrassed about the situation, but it is going to be corrected!

Reactions: borjis

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
What are the first four characters of the serial number?

Does the serial number from the pump match the serial number from the box?

mguzzy

Jul 8, 2015
OV, CA
Builders came by today to put some chems in the pool. Apparently the regional rep from Zodiac called them about my email. They told me the rep wanted to make sure "they were not getting taken" in reference to my pump. When the builder asked for clarification, the rep said that based on my serial number, the pump was built in 2014!
My builder explained that the pool is only one month old. So apparently the builders distributor was holding onto a pump all these years or Zodiac was holding it and shipped it to the distributor.
When the builder came here, I saw that the pump was sealed in a box with all paper work, foam etc etc. Didn't appear anything was funny.

The builder said I am getting a brand new pump and apologized for this mishap. I could tell they were embarrassed about the situation, but it is going to be corrected!
Well done.. so the moral of the story is, you have to squeal louder than the squealing pump

Reactions: Frank in FL

Edc1911

Mar 25, 2018
South Texas
I have the same pump, and mine is very quite. Even when it goes to full RPMs, you hear it ramp up but no squealing. The pump runs 24/7 at 1200 rmps, then 3x a day goes to 2700 rpms for my cleaning mode. At 1200 rpms it runs at 80w.

Frank in FL

Jul 3, 2019
Florida
I have the same pump, and mine is very quite. Even when it goes to full RPMs, you hear it ramp up but no squealing. The pump runs 24/7 at 1200 rmps, then 3x a day goes to 2700 rpms for my cleaning mode. At 1200 rpms it runs at 80w.
Hopefully I’ll get the same quietness. Did you happen to watch the videos I posted?