Spring Opening Help please.

Rose38478

Aug 17, 2019
Tennessee
So this is my first opening with my ABG pool. First my winter cover was awful. I would pump water off of it AND pump water out of the pool. Happened once when I didn't realize my son turned it on and it ran for two days and then it happened again last week when I turned it on and forgot. :rolleyes: My son and I took a good look at the weave and it's for sure no bueno. Shouldn't they be more tarp like? Not like woven? I'm going for a better one next winter.

My water is a little cloudy, which just happened because I've been peaking all winter and it was clear until about 2 weeks ago. I'm working on that. We just opened it today. I'm in TN where it's been warm then cold and it's getting warm again.

But here's the kicker. How in the HECK did earthworms get in there? We just built a deck but that's not even at pool level. It's just below the rails. I saw about 10 of them around the pool here and there along with something that looks like dirt. On the bottom. Dead. And let's not forget that awesome southern pollen that's in my pool. Did I mention my cover was awful? I did get some landscaping done about two weeks ago and now I a nice deep gravel landscape next to my pool. Perhaps that will keep the worms (??!!) away? I didn't have any in my pool last summer but I didn't get my pool until August and closed early October.

So I guess my questions is this. When I do my first vacuum with my robot, should I vacuum to waste? So the worms will be out of my sand filter and hopefully the pollen will go with it? I honestly have no idea how to handle the dead worm situation (again, how in the world did they even get in there??) My vacuum doesn't hook to my skimmer basket attachment (another piece of junk I think) and I have to attach right into the slot under the skimmer basket.

Thoughts? Help with worms? Why? Ugh.....

But here's the kicker. How in the HECK did earthworms get in there? We just built a deck but that's not even at pool level. It's just below the rails. I saw about 10 of them around the pool here and there along with something that looks like dirt. On the bottom. Dead. And let's not forget that awesome southern pollen that's in my pool. Did I mention my cover was awful? I did get some landscaping done about two weeks ago and now I a nice deep gravel landscape next to my pool. Perhaps that will keep the worms (??!!) away? I didn't have any in my pool last summer but I didn't get my pool until August and closed early October.

Get crushed limestone (lime) from homedepot and spread it around the outside of the pool deck. From The earthworms really liked our pool over the winter

Lots of folks share your problem with earthworms.

So I guess my questions is this. When I do my first vacuum with my robot, should I vacuum to waste? So the worms will be out of my sand filter and hopefully the pollen will go with it? I honestly have no idea how to handle the dead worm situation (again, how in the world did they even get in there??) My vacuum doesn't hook to my skimmer basket attachment (another piece of junk I think) and I have to attach right into the slot under the skimmer basket.

Can you scoop out most of the worms with a leaf rake?

You can vacuum to waste or vacuum to the filter and immediately after backwash the filter.

Thank you both! I decided to just vacuum to waste since I do have one darker area. I think it's where the crappy winter cover leaked icky stuff through. It's in the area where my pump would sink down slightly and would gather the cover crud. It's either that or a small algae patch, I'm not sure. And I've got some Lime on order. I'm going to treat around the deck and the swimming pool. Also bleach is $5 a gallon. Wow...talk about supply and demand inflation. :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.