Spoke to an electrician... is this right?

jamjam

Jun 25, 2020
NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
He said all in ground pool pumps need to be installed with a twist lock plug and cannot be hardwired. Said that this is the equipment disconnect. I said, I thought the breaker panel counts as the disconnect. He said "no." This can't be right, can it? Every setup I have ever seen uses liquid tight with hardwired connection. Even the installation manual on the pump says this.

It will depend on local code. In our area you need what they call a line of sight disconnect. It can be the breaker, a plug, or and actual disconnect, but you have to be able to disconnect the power within sight of the equipment

Reactions: guinness
Here's what the code says.

A maintenance disconnecting means is required for the permanently installed pool, storable pool, outdoor spa, outdoor hot tub, or fountain equipment, other than lighting for these water bodies [680.12]. The maintenance disconnecting means must be readily accessible and located within sight and at least 5 ft from the permanently installed pool, storable pool, outdoor spa, outdoor hot tub, or fountain equipment, unless separated from the open water by a permanently installed barrier that provides a 5-ft reach path or greater. This horizontal distance is measured from the water’s edge along the shortest path required to reach the disconnecting means
According to Art. 100, “within sight” means it’s visible and not more than 50 ft from one to the other.

It says nothing about it having to have a twist lock plug. However, if an inground pool pump does have a plug and cord, it has to be a twist-lock.

It will depend on local code. In our area you need what they call a line of sight disconnect. It can be the breaker, a plug, or and actual disconnect, but you have to be able to disconnect the power within sight of the equipment
I think that is actually nationwide as part of the NEC.

But, your point is good - while there is a "National" Electric Code, jurisdictions are free to adopt any version or even only parts of it.

@jamjam

In most areas, pumps for anything other than a temporary/seasonal pool are hard wired.

Reactions: spd500
There are multiple NEC's. You need to know what version, usually denoted by a year and if there are any modifications.

"All electrical work must comply with Article 680 of the National Electric Code, and an Electrical Inspection Certificate must be submitted prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Completion."

"All electrical work must comply with Article 680 of the National Electric Code, and an Electrical Inspection Certificate must be submitted prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Completion."
Just because that is what they say does not mean it is a complete answer. The NEC is amended every two years and jurisdictions do not all automatically adopt the latest version published. 2020 was the latest version, but I doubt many have adopted it.

Article 680 is one of the parts of the code that has changed greatly thru the years, although the last few not so much.

But, as Dave said - it's not required to have a twist lock, however, if an inground pool pump does have a plug and cord, it has to be a twist-lock.

Reactions: guinness
2017 National Electric Code article 680.21 (Motors for permanently installed pools) allows for hard wiring utilizing Liquidtight Flexible Metal Conduit (LFMC) or Liquidtight Felxible Non-metallic Conduit (LFNC).
680.21 Also allows for cord and plug connections not to exceed 3' as long it has a full size grounding conductor.
If hardwired the pump will need a readily accessible disconnect within sight of the pump (NEC 680.13).
I am a licensed master electrician in NH and the NEC would apply unless towns have adopted there own codes which is unlikely.

Reactions: tim5055

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2017 National Electric Code article 680.21 (Motors for permanently installed pools) allows for hard wiring utilizing Liquidtight Flexible Metal Conduit (LFMC) or Liquidtight Felxible Non-metallic Conduit (LFNC).
680.21 Also allows for cord and plug connections not to exceed 3' as long it has a full size grounding conductor.
If hardwired the pump will need a readily accessible disconnect within sight of the pump (NEC 680.13).
I am a licensed master electrician in NH and the NEC would apply unless towns have adopted there own codes which is unlikely.

the breaker is 2 feet from the equipment, and 20 ft from the pool in line of sight- I am assuming this will be good to go with hardwired connections.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.