Spillway flow question

• Thread starter Deleted member 312768
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 312768

Hi all! Question on spillway flow, the PB suggested an 18” spillway so the water would cascade, I wanted to go wider but didn’t know the flow would only trickle down the ledge stone. I believe it’s about 24” wide, is there any way I can make it cascade or do I need to crank up the spa pump? I have a pentair VSP 3.0 I believe

Attachments

• 26EB4D06-4C67-42EE-8C76-202EED154A42.jpeg
    26EB4D06-4C67-42EE-8C76-202EED154A42.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 51
I see that most spillways are set up with the overhang, and until reading a few of these lack of cascade issues I really never paid attention to my design, which seems to cascade at most flows but for the slowest. The spa side is 24" wide and about 60" pool side. The ledge is about 1/4" "behind" the top row of the face wall. This creates a drop over to that thin row edge, which shoots the water out and past the face of the wall, creating a sheer of water away from the facing. At high speeds, it clears that and just cascades over. Higher flow or some way to break the tension at the drop off edge.

Last edited:

You can just increase your pump speed.

Show us several pics of your equipment pad, especially the area around the Return Valve . Depending on how your pool is plumbed, there may be other ways.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim, thank you - I'm not sure what is what, so I will post the whole set up if that's ok?

You can just increase your pump speed.

Show us several pics of your equipment pad, especially the area around the Return Valve . Depending on how your pool is plumbed, there may be other ways.

Thanks,

Jim R.
641A78AD-83F4-40E2-B7D1-496CAAB317EB.jpeg

Attachments

• 4C1B1B9A-BF7C-40AE-8974-F96F96247923.jpeg
    4C1B1B9A-BF7C-40AE-8974-F96F96247923.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 20
  • A13CE636-1571-4D0E-B6FE-A5B0EBDC5C2A.jpeg
    A13CE636-1571-4D0E-B6FE-A5B0EBDC5C2A.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 20
You should have actuators installed on your Suction and Return valves. When the builder does that, you can schedule a Spillover at an elevated flow rate to chlorinate the spa for 20 minutes or so twice a day. Then just use the Spillover function when you want the spillover for ambiance, etc. Can we assume you will have ScreenLogic control via the Pentair SL App?

You should have actuators installed on your Suction and Return valves. When the builder does that, you can schedule a Spillover at an elevated flow rate to chlorinate the spa for 20 minutes or so twice a day. Then just use the Spillover function when you want the spillover for ambiance, etc. Can we assume you will have ScreenLogic control via the Pentair SL App?
Yes, I have that - but in "pool" mode, which they are running all day since it was just plastered, it just dribbles down the front of the face

Correct. I now see that you have the actuators.

Your PB set them to run the Spillover at the dribble rate all the time. The actuators can be adjusted so that the Spillover is either full on or off. Then you schedule the Spillover with the Easytouch to run a couple times a day to chlorinate.

If you wish to run the Spillover all the time, you will need to increase your pump rate.

Correct. I now see that you have the actuators.

Your PB set them to run the Spillover at the dribble rate all the time. The actuators can be adjusted so that the Spillover is either full on or off. Then you schedule the Spillover with the Easytouch to run a couple times a day to chlorinate.

If you wish to run the Spillover all the time, you will need to increase your pump rate.
ahhh got it, thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Do you have ScreenLogic, so you can control your pool from your phone or PC?

It appears to me that the red no-flow light is on for your SWCG. This should mean your pump is not running very fast or your filter is clogged.

If you have ScreenLogic it will tell you how fast your pump is running and let you adjust the pump speed.

Your pool builder did not use what is called a make-up valve that allows you to adjust your spa spillover. A cheap move on his part, Sigh!!

Your only option is to increase your pump speed.

Do you want the spillover to constantly run, when you are in the Pool mode?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Do you have ScreenLogic, so you can control your pool from your phone or PC?

It appears to me that the red no-flow light is on for your SWCG. This should mean your pump is not running very fast or your filter is clogged.

If you have ScreenLogic it will tell you how fast your pump is running and let you adjust the pump speed.

Your pool builder did not use what is called a make-up valve that allows you to adjust your spa spillover. A cheap move on his part, Sigh!!

Your only option is to increase your pump speed.

Do you want the spillover to constantly run, when you are in the Pool mode?

Thanks,

Jim R.
I do have the app yes, maybe they haven't added salt yet? The plaster was just done on Friday - doesn't surprise me about the cheap move, that has been a trend this entire build... I would like when it does run, to cascade even when in pool mode....wishful thinking I suppose....

Not wishful at all. It will just means you will have to run your pump at a faster speed.

If you have the program on your PC you could just adjust by use this page.

View media item 1962
If on your phone, you need to go into SLConfig app and look under IntelliFlo set up. Look under "pool" and you will see the speed the pump should be running. You can then select a different speed if you want. You can always set it back to the original RPM, if you don't like it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Not wishful at all. It will just means you will have to run your pump at a faster speed.

If you have the program on your PC you could just adjust by use this page.

View media item 1962
If on your phone, you need to go into SLConfig app and look under IntelliFlo set up. Look under "pool" and you will see the speed the pump should be running. You can then select a different speed if you want. You can always set it back to the original RPM, if you don't like it.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you! I see all that I was just hoping to avoid my PG&E going thru the roof!!

You have an IntelliFlo and it should not really have any problem pushing water over your spillover.

See if you can tell what speed your pump is running, and then tell us what the gauge on your filter reads. It could be that you have a bunch of construction debris in your filter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You have an IntelliFlo and it should not really have any problem pushing water over your spillover.

See if you can tell what speed your pump is running, and then tell us what the gauge on your filter reads. It could be that you have a bunch of construction debris in your filter.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you! On the app the "Pool" says it's at 2200 RPM, on the gauge it reads PSI 9

Adjust it to 2800 and see how that works. That is the speed I use when I run my waterfall, which is not often.

Before you do, please go look at your salt cell, when running at 2200, and see what red light is on.

Then change Pool to 2800 and see how the spillover looks, and see if the red light on the SWCG goes out.

You can always change it back later.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Adjust it to 2800 and see how that works. That is the speed I use when I run my waterfall, which is not often.

Before you do, please go look at your salt cell, when running at 2200, and see what red light is on.

Then change Pool to 2800 and see how the spillover looks, and see if the red light on the SWCG goes out.

You can always change it back later.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi, no difference, red light still on - they may not have added salt yet though?

Sorry, just want to make sure I understand.

Are you saying you saw no difference in the spillover? Did the pump actually increase its speed?

I looked at the IC40 again, and I agree, the flow light appears to be on. Sorry about that..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sorry, just want to make sure I understand.

Are you saying you saw no difference in the spillover? Did the pump actually increase its speed?

I looked at the IC40 again, and I agree, the flow light appears to be on. Sorry about that..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Sorry! I did hear the pump crank up, the water flow looked a tiny bit stronger, but the same dribble effect, it wasn't enough to kick it into a cascade off the ledgestone, if that makes sense?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.