speedstir troubles

Its just metal, the magnetic field is created on the speedstir.
The beans are magnetic.. mine is currently on the refrigerator holding up my pool to do list.

UPDATE: I contacted Taylor. I was told the pills sometimes go bad. They sent out a couple replacements and we're back to proper mixing.
I was thinking the same thing...How can they go bad? perhaps the magnetic polls are reversing, like the earth ;)..the only way I can think is if they are demagnetized somehow.
Actually, tumbly beans were from either low batteries or a nick on the bean. The cross beans are more balanced and won't tumble when the stirrer spin gets uneven. When I worked in a lab in South America, it was a sure sign we were having a brown out because all the beans started tumbling in their stirrers

Last edited:
The beans are magnetic.. mine currently on the refrigerator holding up my pool to do list
So then what about the coating letting water seep in and mess up the normal reaction ? Or the beans got demagnetized by passing through a conflicting magnetic field. It wouldn’t be common but with a few million out there it would happen enough that we heard about it.

So then what about the coating letting water seep in and mess up the normal reaction ? Or the beans got demagnetized by passing through a conflicting magnetic field. It wouldn’t be common but with a few million out there it would happen enough that we heard about it.
If your bean was exposed to a Gaussian field strong enough to demagnetized it... I be your other appliances would stop working as well...

"DAAAAAD! the garbage disposal motor got demagnetized again!.." "Honey!, Tell your Jimmy Neutron Son to stop running his cyclotron!"

Last edited:
If your bean was exposed to a Gaussian field strong enough to demagnetized it... I be your other appliances would stop working as well...
So then what kills the random beans ? Your dart at the wall guess will be far superior to mine with all the science you've done.

The surface inside the tube that the bean contacts becomes rough over time. Every tube I have has a visibly rough path worn around the inside of the tube where the bean contacts it as it spins. Increased friction between the tube and the bean causes it to tumble occasionally. Smoothing the ends of the bean will help. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it

Reactions: Newdude
The surface inside the tube that the bean contacts becomes rough over time. Every tube I have has a visibly rough path worn around the inside of the tube where the bean contacts it as it spins. Increased friction between the tube and the bean causes it to tumble occasionally. Smoothing the ends of the bean will help. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it
I avoid this problem by using a glass test tube. Bean spins nice & smooth. I test in the kitchen, not at the pool, so the glass isn't a danger.

Is it possible that if multiple beans are stored together in the same kit compartment, that one could demagnetize another?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.