Spare Motor

fharczuk

May 26, 2009
I am looking to buy a spare motor for my pump or should I get a new pump and motor together?

I want the most efficient 2 speed motor (i believe it's the AO Smith B2983). This motor is around $305.

I currently have the Waterway SVL56. Is this a decent pump or is this the time to get pump/motor.

If I do the pump/motor I don't know that the pump manufacturers states the motor they are using?

fharczuk

May 26, 2009
So when my current one dies I have a speedy replacement. My last motor only lasted two seasons and died on a saturday night before a big party. I had to scramble to find a replacement.

reindeerboy

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2008
Jamestown, ND
Thats what I did and now have a spare on hand in case this 2 yr old pump or when this 2 yr old pump goes out. Then its just a matter of swapping the pumps out. Everything happens on a weekend when nobody is open. Never fails including when I go farming to my family farm here in ND. Drives me nuts! :hammer:

4JawChuck

Jun 13, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
A complete pump and motor is easier to swap in a hurry than individual pieces, just make sure you test it before you place it into storage to make sure it works before the warranty runs out while it sits.

fharczuk

May 26, 2009
Any opinions on Waterway Pumps? I am thinking of just getting some spare parts (impeller, what really goes bad on a pump, really no other moving parts but the seals) and keeping this pump.

I want the AO Smith B2983 motor and can't find a pump that comes with this motor. From what I can tell this motor is the most efficient.

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
The B2983 motor is sold as a more efficient motor because it is a capacitor start capacitor run motor but several pumps have this setup. Also, PSC motors are nearly as efficient. If you are interested in looking at actual measured efficiencies, I would focus the California Energy Commission database. It is the most comprehensive data available. In my sig, there is a link to a Pool Pump Energy Cost Comparison worksheet they will show the estimate energy use for various conditions based upon the CEC data.

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
Razorhog Pumps, Filters, and Plumbing 3
C Pumps, Filters, and Plumbing 1
R Everything Else 13

Other Threads of Interest