Spa won’t heat

GMTK

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
San Antonio
Spa help

Spa is connected to pool. Approx 14 years old.
New heyward pool heater installed this summer prior to moving in the house. I’ve never used the spa before.

Controller for the spa and pool is on the wall in the house.

Trying to turn on the spa to heat. I pressed the spa button and also the spa heater button on the controller. The Spa heat is set to 102 in the programming.

The jets on the spa are shooting out water but I can’t seem to get any heat. When looking at the equipment the spa drain input is open, pool drain input is closed. Pool return output is closed. Spa return output is open.

The main pump is on but I don’t see any bubbles like i normally see when just the pool pump is on (and pool input is open). Pressure on the pool filters is high (28). There is water being moved through.

The heater says “bo” which I’ve found means the controller inside is in charge.

It’s been an hour and pool temp hasn’t changed.

I’m concerned the heater isn’t on or lit (it’s natural gas). Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 307D7ED4-C08A-438A-90A7-4E0258F8A719.jpeg
    307D7ED4-C08A-438A-90A7-4E0258F8A719.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DBCBC9CC-52C1-48A7-A145-579CA5833543.jpeg
    DBCBC9CC-52C1-48A7-A145-579CA5833543.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 64F5A87B-E4B7-4465-90DD-85046376BFB0.jpeg
    64F5A87B-E4B7-4465-90DD-85046376BFB0.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 270094DE-5522-40D6-88B1-E98239CE65F5.jpeg
    270094DE-5522-40D6-88B1-E98239CE65F5.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 13
G,

I am not a Hayward guy, but when I look up the BO code it says "By pass operation"... Could be I was looking at a different heater, so tell us what specific heater you have.

A running heater will have a hot exhaust and will make enough noise that you should be able to tell if the heater is running or not.

Let's see if we can get one of our heater experts to chime in..

Thanks,

Jim R.

G,

So I tried to find your manual and I see one that has the H400FD, but the control panel does not look like yours... Reading through it, it says the BO means the the heater is under the control of the automation... :scratch: Which makes sense...

Let's see if one of these guys can help... @JamesW and @mas985..

If I am reading your display correctly it appears to me that the automation is in control, but that neither the Spa mode or Pool mode is selected. Since this is a new heater, was it actually tested using the automation when installed?? Is there a control cable between the heater and the automation? And if so can you tell if it is a two wire system or a three wire system?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I assume it was tested when it was installed. When we did our home inspection, the old heater didn't work, so the seller installed this one; we didn't send the inspector back to check it out as we were past the option period and were buying the house whether it worked or not. I have the name of the guy who installed it so I'm hoping he will answer when I call.

There is a wire leaving the heater and it goes to a control box on the wall near the equipment - I think this would be called the "service box" or something similar. It has nearly identical controls as the aqualinks controller on the wall in the house. I can't tell if it is a two wire or three wire system.

I appreciate your help so far, really frustrating that I can't figure out what is wrong with this thing.

G,

Do you have the manual for the new heater? If so, show me a pic of the front cover...

Have you manually tried to fire up the heater? You should be able to take it out of the automated mode and put it in a standalone mode.. This would at least let you know if the heater itself works, so that the problem would be integration with your automation system..

If in your looking, you find a manual with your heater's control panel in it, please post a link..

Thanks,

Jim R.

That looks like the Hayward Universal H-Series Low NOx Heater

although the manuals show a different style control panel.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So it was/is a very simple fix. The button on the actual heater needs to be in “spa mode” which is the middle position on the right said display (the one with two people in it)
You get there by hitting the menu button to the right of it.
Supposedly, that’s all it takes. $75 service call later.
I’m unclear if I have to hit the button on the heater to “pool” mode to heat the pool but will do some experimenting later.
When the heater reads “bo” it just means it’s connected to a controller.
Hope this helps someone else out and saves you time and money.

Attachments

• 48417DC2-DAE4-410B-AC7B-BBCA709CD858.jpeg
    48417DC2-DAE4-410B-AC7B-BBCA709CD858.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 6
G,

Sorry, but something is still wrong.. Your automation system should automatically select Pool or Spa... It appears to me you are just running the heater manually.. :scratch:

@JamesW ... Do you have any input on this one??

Thanks,

Jim R.

G,

Sorry, but something is still wrong.. Your automation system should automatically select Pool or Spa... It appears to me you are just running the heater manually.. :scratch:

@JamesW ... Do you have any input on this one??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pool or spa mode on the heater just gives two different temperature set points when the heater is controlled manually. When controlled by automation you can have the heater in either mode and set the heater to 104 and then the automation controls the temp in the automations POOL mode or SPA mode. The heater does not care, it just heats the water for wherever it is going to.

Allen,

His heater has a three wire automation connection.. Spa, Common, Pool.. So it should recognize when in the pool mode or Spa mode and set the heat accordingly.. On the other hand, maybe his older heater was only two wire and they never changed the cable???

G,

Did you make the service guy use the automation system to control the heater??

I don't see the point in having an automation system if you have to go over to your heater and push a button each time you want to use it.. :scratch:

Jim R,

His heater has a three wire automation connection.. Spa, Common, Pool.. So it should recognize when in the pool mode or Spa mode and set the heat accordingly.. On the other hand, maybe his older heater was only two wire and they never changed the cable???

I don't see where we determined he had 3 wire RS data control connected. I have been assuming it was firemans switch controlled.

Allen,

You are correct, I do not know for sure his system has a three wire control (It is not data, just three wires) or the standard two wire fireman's switch..

I only "assumed" it was three wire because I looked at the schematic of the heater and it shows a three wire connection. The more I think about it, it does sounds like he has a two wire system and never set up his heater to be on all the time at 104 and just allow the automation to turn it on or off...

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.

I wasn't here, had to work. The way he explained it to me - make sure it is either spa or pool mode at the heater; then you can choose spa or pool from the control panel inside (or service panel outside) and it will turn on. I'm going to mess around with it this weekend some more.

And the service guy was a horses rear and charged me $95.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.