Spa Spillway leaking? Need a sealant?

gocubs418

May 3, 2016
Dallas/TX
Got an interesting one, pool is about 4 years old, I noticed that the face of the spillway was wet and the top of it was dry. It appears the water is seeping through the grout or underneath the rock and the plaster.

From the first picture, the water level use to settle at the red line and now the water is settling at the blue line. This makes me draw the conclusion that the water is trickling out from space between the plaster and the rock meet. The second picture is the front side of the spa, you can see the top rock is dry and the wall/face is wet because water is tricking through where the two pieces meet.

Does anyone know a caulk or epoxy that I can apply to seal it again? I heard silicone is trash. The tricky part is the inside the spa will be submerged 24/7. I could always seal the spa side, which would not really be submerged but it would get wet.

Its not a huge deal, but when I use the spa, I miss the extra water level in the spa.

Thanks!

Untitled.png

IMG_20200816_133037 (1).jpg

Water leakage from cracks in your grout should not change the water level in your spa.

How is your spa spillover controlled? When is the spa spillover run?

When the spillover is run and turned off what is the water level in the spa?

Post wider pics of the spillover area both in your spa and the outside spillover wall.

Water leakage from cracks in your grout should not change the water level in your spa.

How is your spa spillover controlled? When is the spa spillover run?

When the spillover is run and turned off what is the water level in the spa?

Post wider pics of the spillover area both in your spa and the outside spillover wall.

When the spa runs, the spillway spills. When it turns off, the water level is at the red line above. After a handful of hours, it settles at the blue line.

If that makes sense.

Thank you for the reply.

Do you have a check valve on your spa return line?

I suspect your spa is leaking back into the pool through your spa return valve.

Post pics of your equipment and valves.

Reactions: kimkats
Do you have a check valve on your spa return line?

I suspect your spa is leaking back into the pool through your spa return valve.

Post pics of your equipment and valves.
I will come back and post pics of my equipment. However, if I was in the pool, you can see water coming from under the spillway through the grout. A light trickle.

I will come back and post pics of my equipment. However, if I was in the pool, you can see water coming from under the spillway through the grout. A light trickle.

Your spillway trickle is probably a separate problem and not significant enough to lower the spa water level. If that is causing the water level to lower then you have a major structural problem with your spa wall.

You likely have cracks in your grout around the spillway that need to be patched. Water leaks through the cracks when your spillway is running, gets into the spa walls, and finds its way out on the spa exterior wall over time.

Your spillway trickle is probably a separate problem and not significant enough to lower the spa water level. If that is causing the water level to lower then you have a major structural problem with your spa wall.

You likely have cracks in your grout around the spillway that need to be patched. Water leaks through the cracks when your spillway is running, gets into the spa walls, and finds its way out on the spa exterior wall over time.

This is a pretty bad video, but I think you can tell what is going on. I tried to use Lexel. It slowed it down but not perfect. I'm hoping I didn't make an oops by applying Lexel. I didn't see any other responses.

@gocubs418 We have the same thing happening. I first notices some efflorescence on a spa wall across from the spillway. Then it grew to several larger areas. Our water level would also drop down to the bottom of the spillway stone, like yours. Many times when we're in the pool we have the spillway on or someone splashes in the spa, but today I saw a trickle coming from under the spillway stone, but the top of the stone was dry.

I tried to watch your Google video but it said "access denied."

We aren't the first on TFP to ask, but I haven't found any actual solutions posted yet. Sometimes the answers are attempts at helping, like "you should find something to patch it that is waterproof"... like I bet you never thought of that!

Did you ever find a solution to stop the leak?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.