Spa Spillway glass tile/travertine opinion?

PoolNewbie2022

Dec 5, 2021
San antonio
We are doing a spa spillway into our pool. We were already doing the entire spillway in glass tile, the PB suggested we do the whole entire spillway and spa wall angle facing the pool in the glass tile. We are doing a split faced travertine wrapping around the spa. I Was thinking of incorporating the travertine on the front angle where the full 12x12 sheet of tile is here in the picture.

What are pros and cons of either option of glass tile or travertine on the angle wall? I know it’s personal opinion/preference so If you have a similar set up I would love to see what you decided to go with for your spa/pool. Thanks!

Attachments

• 4D478D2F-82DA-45BC-B64B-F960BF6A8445.jpeg
    4D478D2F-82DA-45BC-B64B-F960BF6A8445.jpeg
    632.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 8EB2BA77-0F24-40F0-919A-EFA5B235561F.jpeg
    8EB2BA77-0F24-40F0-919A-EFA5B235561F.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 181F08CC-D8DB-4E22-89DE-BA88988F12A5.jpeg
    181F08CC-D8DB-4E22-89DE-BA88988F12A5.jpeg
    678 KB · Views: 117
Calcium buildup and scale on the spillway will be difficult to clean with uneven tile.

The larger the tile and less grout lines the better on a spillway and spa wall. Easier to clean, less grout lines to crack and get water into, and less chance of efflorescence.

Reactions: PoolNewbie2022
We are doing a spa spillway into our pool. We were already doing the entire spillway in glass tile, the PB suggested we do the whole entire spillway and spa wall angle facing the pool in the glass tile. We are doing a split faced travertine wrapping around the spa. I Was thinking of incorporating the travertine on the front angle where the full 12x12 sheet of tile is here in the picture.

What are pros and cons of either option of glass tile or travertine on the angle wall? I know it’s personal opinion/preference so If you have a similar set up I would love to see what you decided to go with for your spa/pool. Thanks!
@kimkats can I get your opinion on this please? Everything you recommend turns to gold 😊

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
If you are doing glass tile here is the recommended installation buildup by a glass tile supplier.

1626430671428-png.355575

A waterproof coating like Basecrete should be used. Otherwise you can end up with problems like this...

First off I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the tile!!!!! Oh the bling it will have will have everyone wearing sunglasses just to look it!

I think the BLING tile should all over the spa front. See both of the flat spots on the "post" on either side of the spa? The one on the deck side and the one facing the pool. I think that BLING tile should be on that AND all down the spa overflow That would really tie everything together and be a MAJOR accent to the pool!

Let me know if you can't "see" what I am thinking.

Kim:kim: aka the BLING QUEEN!

• Love
Reactions: PoolNewbie2022
It sounds like your PB might be suggesting something very similar to what I have with the entire spa facing the pool and spillway being glass tile.

My personal opinion is the same as .ben and kimkats. Glass all the way and tell your friends and family to bring their sun glasses :cool:

Attachments

• 335D1D99-C83C-4FA4-AA91-08CD0DA72CBC.jpeg
    335D1D99-C83C-4FA4-AA91-08CD0DA72CBC.jpeg
    483.7 KB · Views: 89
First off I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the tile!!!!! Oh the bling it will have will have everyone wearing sunglasses just to look it!

I think the BLING tile should all over the spa front. See both of the flat spots on the "post" on either side of the spa? The one on the deck side and the one facing the pool. I think that BLING tile should be on that AND all down the spa overflow That would really tie everything together and be a MAJOR accent to the pool!

Let me know if you can't "see" what I am thinking.

Kim:kim: aka the BLING QUEEN!
Thank you so much for taking the time, super valuable!🙌🏻
It sounds like your PB might be suggesting something very similar to what I have with the entire spa facing the pool and spillway being glass tile.

My personal opinion is the same as .ben and kimkats. Glass all the way and tell your friends and family to bring their sun glasses :cool:
That looks awesome!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.