Spa return size

Alwayshad1

Oct 11, 2020
North central Florida
Just had a heater installed for our pool/spa. The spa runs off a separate pump, I think it is 3/4 hp. The guy who installed the heater put in 1” diameter returns and there is hardly any pressure so to speak, not enough that makes it feel like a massage. If I put in say 1/2” or 3/4” returns I know the pressure will increase but will there be any negatives as far as possible damage to the heater? There are a total of four returns in the spa.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
What size eyeballs did you have in your spa returns before the heater was installed?

A 3/4 HP pump is small to get good pressure from spa returns.

Alwayshad1

Oct 11, 2020
North central Florida
What size eyeballs did you have in your spa returns before the heater was installed?

A 3/4 HP pump is small to get good pressure from spa returns.
I honestly don’t know but I remember when the spa pump was running, two of the four had quite a bit of pressure coming out as the water was visibly swirling and foaming from those. Not much out of the other two.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Give smaller eyeballs a try and see how they work. It will not damage your Heat Pump.

Smaller eyeballs will raise your filter pressure due to the restriction and may reduce your flow. If your HP complains of LOW FLOW then you will need a larger pump to get the flow necessary for the HP and small eyeballs.

Alwayshad1

Oct 11, 2020
North central Florida
Give smaller eyeballs a try and see how they work. It will not damage your Heat Pump.

Smaller eyeballs will raise your filter pressure due to the restriction and may reduce your flow. If your HP complains of LOW FLOW then you will need a larger pump to get the flow necessary for the HP and small eyeballs.
Ok will do thx!

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread