Spa Pool Renovation

spaceleggo

Aug 23, 2021
Sydney, Australia
Hi,

I have a 5500L spa pool which we are in the process of renovating. I like to keep things reasonable simple and was originally aiming to avoid an automation system, however have come to the conclusion it is probably the better way to go, to ensure the system is wife/kid friendly for operation!

Proposed setup is:
PUMP 1
  • Variable speed pump (Low setting for regular sanitisation, high speed for heating)
  • Cartridge filter (due to limited space)
  • 400MJ Gas heater
  • SWCG
  • Valve actuator (for water feature)
  • Single light

PUMP 2
  • 2HP speed pump to power 5 spa jets

AUTOMATION SYSTEM
Required features:
  • Timers for daily sanitisation
  • Turn on/off heating + adjust temperature
  • Turn on/off spa jets
  • Turn on/off light + change colour
  • Turn on/off water feature
Currently looking at Pentair, Zodiac or Astral (which I thing is an Australian brand)
We will hardwire the network (rather than use wi-fi)
Attached is an overview of the pieces.

My questions
1. If the spa is turned on outside the regular sanitisation schedule, i am concerned over-chlorination of the pool may occur (as the SWCG is on the same line as the heater). Is there a good way to manage this through an automation system (eg. turn off the SWCG or monitor and reduce the production of chlorine). The PB is suggesting a PH/ORP monitoring system, however from what I have read on the forums ORP automation is unreliable in an outdoor pool.

2. I've been looking at the JXI and Pentair heaters. Is there much difference in the sound levels produced by these two units?

3. The PB is also suggesting a magnesium pool. Apart from the feeling of the water, would there be any benefit to this for my setup?

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

Ross

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 4.02.08 pm.png

Welcome to TFP.

1. If the spa is turned on outside the regular sanitisation schedule, i am concerned over-chlorination of the pool may occur (as the SWCG is on the same line as the heater). Is there a good way to manage this through an automation system (eg. turn off the SWCG or monitor and reduce the production of chlorine). The PB is suggesting a PH/ORP monitoring system, however from what I have read on the forums ORP automation is unreliable in an outdoor pool.

I am not sure what equipment you have available. But in the US the Pentair IntelliCenter or EasyTouch will allow you to set different % generation for an IntelliChlor SWG when in POOL mode or SPA mode. So you reduce the % when the spa is operating.

2. I've been looking at the JXI and Pentair heaters. Is there much difference in the sound levels produced by these two units?

No, They both use forced draft designs that have noisy air blowers.

3. The PB is also suggesting a magnesium pool. Apart from the feeling of the water, would there be any benefit to this for my setup?

Never heard of a magnesium pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.