Spa cover leaking?

wkussmaul

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2010
Hi,
I have a 4-year old Hot Spring spa with a tapered cover. It lives outdoors. This winter I noticed that half the cover is getting waterlogged, and the spa tends to fill up after it rains. So it seems quite obvious that the cover is leaking, although to the eye it is completely intact.
Meanwhile, the water quality and chemistry are fine even though I'm probably getting an admixture of rain water.

So: is it imperative to replace the entire cover ASAP?
Is 4 years a short cover life?

As always, thanks for the great help I always get from TFP.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
With it living outside I would say 4 yrs is a good run for the cover. Do you HAVE to replace it? Nope........keep a close eye on your chemistry and go from there. To buy you some time you might be able to put a tarp over it to help keep the rain out. Not pretty but....

Kim:kim:

Alwayswantedapool

Platinum Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
York SC
Since we are going into spring I wouldn't worry about it too much but would replace this fall. If water is getting in then heat can get out. I have a hot spring spa too with a hot spring cover, bummer it only lasted 4 years.

wkussmaul

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2010
Thanks for the replies. In the end, I decided to order a new cover on-line and it seems very well-made. It came just a little too large but that's OK.