Spa bypass question

mgarofano

Apr 4, 2021
La Quinta, CA
Hello, I am a pool noob that just bought a house with a pool/spa combo. I have already researched pool configs, maintenance, care, etc. at length so have a good handle on the basics. The config for my pool is per this diagram - https://i8.amplience.net/i/lesl/jandy-schematic10

EXCEPT, my pool setup does not have the "spa-makeup" bypass at the pool heater output. Is this an issue? Instead, output from the heater just goes to a T with a 2-way valve that can be set to return heated water to the pool and/or spa. The valve can be set to partial open/close so that small amount of water can be output to the spa when in "pool mode" (which would accomplish the same thing as the spa bypass, right?).

The system has NO automation (other than an old timer for the pump) so all valves must be turned manually for switching modes. Automating this baby will be my first project!

Thanks!
Mike

When you install your automation you should have a SPILLOVER mode to run water through the spa on a schedule. Until then just leave the POOL/SPA return valve set so some water flows through the spa when in POOL mode.

I do not have a spa makeup line either. Instead, my return valve actuator is set to stop just short of closing the spa side off. This allows a tiny bit of makeup water to flow and just keep the spa right at level full. It does trickle a small bit of water over the spillway, but that is ok for me. Not even enough to create a steady stream of water, just drips off the bottom most ledge of the spillway.

--Jeff

Reactions: mgarofano
My pool/spa combo has a spa makeup line plumbed in on the "pool" mode. So, when not heating the spa water goes to both the spa and pool. There are 6 returns in my spa, but 1 is the makeup ("POOL" mode) and the other 5 are "SPA" mode.

Attachments

• spa-makeup.png
    spa-makeup.png
    4 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: mgarofano
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.