Spa Air Blower turns off after 5 Minutes

freedom5

Aug 8, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Hi all,

First time poster. I have a 2 HP air blower with overflow spa to pool. I replaced single speed 2HP pool pump with VSP 1.5 HP. It keeps turning off after about 5 minutes. There must be back pressure as I can run it off the pipe for at least 25 minutes.

My jets are about 5/8 eyeball size.

I am not sure how to take them off to flush out jets. Would taking the return jandy valve off to spa jets and sucking line with wet dry vac be reasonable approach to clear jet line?

What speed are you running your new VSP when trying to use the blower in your spa?

Crank down the speed and see if your blower works at a lower pump speed.

You can also try and increase the size of the eyeballs in your spa.

What speed are you running your new VSP when trying to use the blower in your spa?

Crank down the speed and see if your blower works at a lower pump speed.

You can also try and increase the size of the eyeballs in your spa.
I'm running full speed, 3450 RPM. Is it more likely the pump velocity being too strong versus not strong enough water wise?

Crank down your pump speed. There is never a reason to run a VS pump at full speed. The water velocity is more than the blower can overcome.

Crank down your pump speed. There is never a reason to run a VS pump at full speed. The water velocity is more than the blower can overcome.
I've read that for 6 jets 2hp blower is too much and to drill one or two 1/4 inch holes in air pipe. Do you think that is viable option too?

Also, the eyeballs are largish, almost size of hole?

I would first see what pump RPMs the blower works with.

Then if you want you can experiment with varying RPMs and drilling holes.

I tried 3100 and got up to 8 minutes. Tried again at 2800 and after 22 minutes I turned off. So, ultimately the back pressure is from too much water flow/pressure. But, my VSP is smaller than my previous single speed and that didn't overheat. Thanks ajw22, I consider this a win.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.