South Jersey Fiberglass Install

tank47

Apr 28, 2019
NJ
Been thinking about a pool for a couple years and finally got serious in April (admittedly late), met with some pool builders, decided we wanted fiberglass, narrowed it down and signed in June. Engineering, permits, and some other BS dragged this out and here we are finally in Oct with a commitment from to builder to start this Friday. Found this website early on in the process and have been checking it out periodically ever since. Some members helped me along the way with decisions and I'm really looking forward to giving back. Everyone has been so helpful!

This will be our first pool so looking for any advice, I don't know what I don't know. My first questions are when should I get a pool kit for testing and when should I plan on closing pool? I'm guessing we will get one swim no matter how cold it is and then wait patiently for next season We are adding an outdoor pavilion with TV/bar so hopefully we get some use out of that for some fall/winter football games. I'm actually looking forward to that mostly at this point!

One other question my wife and I are debating is if we should keep a 3' walkway on the house side of the pool or just extend the patio to the pool coping? Is 3' plus 1' of coping wide enough to comfortably walk?

Here's what we are getting with pics attached (the design was something basic i drew up on my ipad):
Inground Fiberglass Leisure Pool Ultimate 40' in Silver Grey with spa and tanning ledge 17,690 gallons
Hayward VSOmni 900 with Smart Pool Control
200 Sq Ft Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
Hayward H-Series 250k BTU heater
Hayward AquaRite 900 SWG w/ 40k cell (AQR940)
Aluminum fencing
Techo-bloc Aberdeen pavers
Amish Pavilion 20x14

Attachments

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
Good job getting rid of the trees near the pool. That will pay dividends. I'd definitely up-size your cartridge filter, which will likely allow you to only clean the filter when you close the pool, though I also recommend using hairnets on the skimmers as well to assist in keeping your filter clean. You can't go too big on them. Good size on the SWG.

3' plus 1' coping is fine to walk on. Though having a raised structure next to it will make is seem tighter than if it was just lawn next to it. Two people passing will mean adjusting your gait to pass. The far side of our pool is 4' plus 1' coping which is nice for people passing.

thomasandanita

Mar 14, 2019
willis texas
i was also thinking about the size of your filter. i have same 200 filter, but about half the volume of water you do. i also have the same 250 heater as you but live in a warmer climate and again with 1\2 the volume. i know someone with the same ultimate pool that you are getting in my area and he has the larger filter and 400 heater. i like more concrete but also know that budget limits what is possible. get as much as you can afford around the pool. plenty of room for chairs and walkers at the same time. enjoy the pool!

tank47

Apr 28, 2019
NJ
Thanks for the quick feedback. So what size filter? Looks like the Star-Clear plus maxes out at 200 so I'd switch to a different model. What's the benefit, less annual maintenance?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Thanks for the quick feedback. So what size filter? Looks like the Star-Clear plus maxes out at 200 so I'd switch to a different model. What's the benefit, less annual maintenance?
Get a larger filter that you will have to clean less often. C3030 or C4030 filter.

Get a 400K BTU heater.

thomasandanita

Mar 14, 2019
willis texas
looks like i was mistaken, hayward does make a 350 filter, but the member i was thinking of with the ultimate like yours is a 30 and he has the 200 filter, not a 40 like you have planned. hope that helps. larger filter will decrease the cleaning frequency needed.

tank47

Apr 28, 2019
NJ
I am discussing the Hayward VSOmni 900 with Smart Pool Control in this thread Critique this PB Quote - Thanks!

With that system you don't get an integrated load center/subpanel. Ask you PB about the AquaPlus system with a TriStar VS pump.
As a newbie I'm kinda lost here and appreciate you looking out. Help me understand - what does an integrated load center/subpanel get me? I am under the impression that I can control my pump, heater and lights from my phone with this current setup. What will I be missing out on that I will regret?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
As a newbie I'm kinda lost here and appreciate you looking out. Help me understand - what does an integrated load center/subpanel get me? I am under the impression that I can control my pump, heater and lights from my phone with this current setup. What will I be missing out on that I will regret?
Read that thread and the questions being asked about the way the electrical work will be done. Those same questions apply to you.

Either setup will work. It is when it doesn't work how complex or simple is it to diagnose.

tank47

Apr 28, 2019
NJ
Good job getting rid of the trees near the pool. That will pay dividends. I'd definitely up-size your cartridge filter, which will likely allow you to only clean the filter when you close the pool, though I also recommend using hairnets on the skimmers as well to assist in keeping your filter clean. You can't go too big on them. Good size on the SWG.

3' plus 1' coping is fine to walk on. Though having a raised structure next to it will make is seem tighter than if it was just lawn next to it. Two people passing will mean adjusting your gait to pass. The far side of our pool is 4' plus 1' coping which is nice for people passing.
Thanks for the feedback! Yes those trees were just so overgrown and once they came down it opened our eyes to the possibility of the pool. Feels like so much more space now.

tank47

Apr 28, 2019
NJ
I have the 30'er of the same pool, here are a few pics.
Thanks yes I remember those pics - you had helped me out when I was finalizing my decision! How are you enjoying it? Backyard looks like it provides a lot of entertainment!

You use the VS Omni automation correct? How's that working out? Also any comment on heater or filter? I'm hoping to hear today what the upcharge is to go from the 250k heater to 400k, sounds like I'd just be saving time but that's probably worth it in the end.

jtburf

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
My wife said last night as we were sitting in the hot tub " we should have done this years ago" we love the whole package, the pools fits us to a tee. We had 3 couples over last sat night (Hot tub does get crowded with 8 in it!) they all love the pool.

400K heater is a must period. I really wish we had a larger filter, I have to clean it about every 3-4 weeks. I like the automation, it is super easy to change anything you want. If we would have had a pool 15 years ago we would have 6 kids now...lol...

It was the Cherrie on top of our Sunday!!! Matter of fact, I was just on the patio watching races from Belmont!

John

tank47

Apr 28, 2019
NJ
My wife said last night as we were sitting in the hot tub " we should have done this years ago" we love the whole package, the pools fits us to a tee. We had 3 couples over last sat night (Hot tub does get crowded with 8 in it!) they all love the pool.

400K heater is a must period. I really wish we had a larger filter, I have to clean it about every 3-4 weeks. I like the automation, it is super easy to change anything you want. If we would have had a pool 15 years ago we would have 6 kids now...lol...

It was the Cherrie on top of our Sunday!!! Matter of fact, I was just on the patio watching races from Belmont!

John
thanks for the feedback certainly helpful

Rich D

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
MA
One other question my wife and I are debating is if we should keep a 3' walkway on the house side of the pool or just extend the patio to the pool coping? Is 3' plus 1' of coping wide enough to comfortably walk?
Is there a reason why the pool is so close to the deck? It definitely has a contrived feeling to it. If you could I would push the pool farther out and perhaps make the deck stairs wrap around the corner to open things up or even run them the length of the deck to get rid of the fence. Sitting on the deck now it seems you will not see 1/2 of the pool.

Rich D

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
MA
Do you actually use those sliders to get out to the deck? One step down out of the house would make a huge difference in the over all feel of things out back.

tank47

Apr 28, 2019
NJ
Is there a reason why the pool is so close to the deck? It definitely has a contrived feeling to it. If you could I would push the pool farther out and perhaps make the deck stairs wrap around the corner to open things up or even run them the length of the deck to get rid of the fence. Sitting on the deck now it seems you will not see 1/2 of the pool.
I appreciate the feedback. Our house has three sliders in the back. We thought about converting those to solid windows and then just not having a raised Patio at all but we think we will like the raised area. I do agree though that from the house view it will cut off a portion of the pool. So we then decided to use that raised Patio for a dining area and figure we need minimum 10' for a table. We are going to lower the patio about 4" when you walk out but if we add a step we would need to do that for all three sliders and I'm afraid that will reduce our dining area. We were hoping to avoid the need for a railing on the raised stone patio but I think we are high enough that it's going to be required. Meeting with pool builder today actually to review elevations and start this build. Also there's a 25' setback so we are limited in space.

Last edited:

Rich D

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
MA
I appreciate the feedback. Our house has three sliders in the back. We thought about converting those to solid windows and then just not having a raised Patio at all but we think we will like the raised area. I do agree though that from the house view it will cut off a portion of the pool. So we then decided to use that raised Patio for a dining area and figure we need minimum 10' for a table. We are going to lower the patio about 4" when you walk out but if we add a step we would need to do that for all three sliders and I'm afraid that will reduce our dining area. We were hoping to avoid the need for a railing on the raised stone patio but I think we are high enough that it's going to be required. Meeting with pool builder today actually to review elevations and start this build. Also there's a 25' setback so we are limited in space.
Ahh, so the new deck will be masonry? Very nice. Will you be putting the pergola back or some type of shade structure?

"Anything" to avoid a railing... Even raising the pool a bit. Hopefully you can work that in...

tank47

Apr 28, 2019
NJ
Railing is gonna happen since patio will be roughly 30" above pool. Otherwise we'd be bringing in a whole lotta material to raise the entire backyard and that's getting $$. There will be a 20x10 covered pavilion down on one end of pool across from spa.