South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

I was wondering about putting lights over the pool. I think it looks beautiful. Is there any safety issue regarding the lights over the water?

I believe the code is 10' in most places. Ours is less than that but not directly over water. We have them strung in such a way that we can easily take them down in the event of strong winds or a storm. I highly recommend them. We've had them for years before our pool and they hold up really well to the weather.

Wow lovely pic! I love the string lights. I have been trying to think of what we are going to do for lights like that but with our cage. I have seen lights they mount in the cage but I love the look of the string lights. Everything looks really lovely.

I ordered string lights to mount around my pool cage on the perimeter, not over the pool. I asked an electrician who was providing me outdoor outlets and said per code they will not hang lights within 5 ft of water. if the string for whatever reason breaks. Not worth the risk...

I ordered string lights to mount around my pool cage on the perimeter, not over the pool. I asked an electrician who was providing me outdoor outlets and said per code they will not hang lights within 5 ft of water. if the string for whatever reason breaks. Not worth the risk...

Yea I believe code is 5-10 feet in most places. We are within that but they do not directly overhang water. We strung them in such a way that we can easily take them down in bad winds and storms. We also had a separate gfi and light switch added for these.

Here's another shot
cf2d48b89cc3229522ffe70a4dac23bc.jpg

Yeah we only have 2 areas that are 10' away. They do have lights that are actually installed inside the cage supports though I am sure it is pricy but it looks amazing.

Starry Night! Neblula Pool Cage Lighting | Nebula Pool Cage Lighting | Pinterest | Lighting, Awesome and Freaking awesome

And then solar ones that clip to the cage though I personally don't know what happens if a solar light were to fall into water...

Clip on Solar Lanai Lights Solar Pool Cage Lights | Things I like | Pinterest | Solar, Pools and Cage light

Grumpie, those look really nice. May be something we do over by the existing patio or sitting area bc those are the only 2 areas 10' away from water.

Yeah we only have 2 areas that are 10' away. They do have lights that are actually installed inside the cage supports though I am sure it is pricy but it looks amazing.

Starry Night! Neblula Pool Cage Lighting | Nebula Pool Cage Lighting | Pinterest | Lighting, Awesome and Freaking awesome

And then solar ones that clip to the cage though I personally don't know what happens if a solar light were to fall into water...

Clip on Solar Lanai Lights Solar Pool Cage Lights | Things I like | Pinterest | Solar, Pools and Cage light

Grumpie, those look really nice. May be something we do over by the existing patio or sitting area bc those are the only 2 areas 10' away from water.

Nebula lighting is about $2500 on avg for pool cage.
You may be better off getting commercial grade led Edison bulb string lights on amazon I picked up 3 strings of 48' to try[emoji106]
There is also another Florida company called lanai lights that mounts lights on the chair rail. Haven't heard of any having these.

Whew yup! I figured they were pricy! I saw the chair rail lighting on Pinterest too.

outdoor landscape lighting inside swimming pool cage sarasota florida | Pool Patio | Pinterest | Sarasota florida, Pools and Landscapes

But I am thinking it may be one of those things that has to be dealt with after everything is done and you see how the space looks. We have under stair lighting going tucked under the bull nose stair treads on both sides of the spa and then also under the coping on top of the wall but on the back side to illuminate the space back there. The only area right now that wouldn't get light is the sitting area across from spa, around corner of the house and that might be a good place for the lights like Grumpie has. I have seen those Edison ones from Amazon. They are so pretty! Will have to see...

We used outdoor Christmas lights at first and I eventually replaced them with 2 inch G50 bulbs and hung them on the inside perimeter of the screen cage.

Did you pay your PB for that upgrade?! I've had an infinity pool twice in less than 2 years. They weren't near as pretty as yours. Both times I had the added bonus of dirt and debris in the pool. I didn't have to pay extra for mine either!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you pay your PB for that upgrade?! I've had an infinity pool twice in less than 2 years. They weren't near as pretty as yours. Both times I had the added bonus of dirt and debris in the pool. I didn't have to pay extra for mine either!!

As Brian once pointed out, I'm sure I've paid for it somehow ;) we've been very fortunate that the decking drains appropriately away from the pool. Nearly zero debris, soil or dirt.

Your PB didn't add an overflow line from skimmer out to yard?

No. We have a 1" skimmer knockout that drains to the gravel under the pool shell. It doesn't do us any good given how wet our soil here is in SFL. It always backs up. That is one of the things I would have changed if I knew more about it - a real overflow line and an auto fill.

Brian, I think I have asked this before but can you dig a small trench and add a small PVC line to that hole and have it drain somewhere out of the way and free of dirt/stuff?

Kim:kim:

Kim, yes it's a possibility but would be some work including taking up about 4 feet of our travertine. I think the problem would still be that it's only a 1-1.5" line vs the 3-4" typical overflow lines in the side of the pool shell. It's really not a big issue for us tho, it's super easy to drain, dropping about an inch a minute. We are going to see how this hurricane season goes and see if it starts causing us issues before trying anything else.

We badly needed the rain here in Central Florida but my pool looks the same as yours. I'll have to drain too if we get any more rain in the next few days.

Insane amount of rain and it is expected to continue through the weekend here. The bright side is that all of our landscape has held up with zero debris getting to the deck or pool.

Our channel deck drain has been overflowing though which is creating a good amount of water build up in the valley of our deck pitches. It drains out when there is some break in the really heavy rain. I suppose that steep pitch away from our house is serving its purpose after all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.