South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

I like the idea of the water line tile. It will throw quite a bit of color into the pool.

See if you can get your hands on some cheap tiles from Lowes or such that are the color of your spa tiles. Find a way to up up about 5 of them temporarily to see if you like it and go from there.

Kim (no cheering on this one)

Does the pool not have waterline tile in it?

Not to throw cold water on the re-tile/add-tile idea, but I really don't think you want to do that. They'd have to chip-out the plaster to get the tiles in there or remove any current tiles and then replaster those areas they chipped out. It will create an ugly mismatch no matter how careful they are with the chip-out and replaster.

Either the plaster has to be redone or you have to accept what is there. Anything else is going to leave noticeable marks...

Does the pool not have waterline tile in it?

Not to throw cold water on the re-tile/add-tile idea, but I really don't think you want to do that. They'd have to chip-out the plaster to get the tiles in there or remove any current tiles and then replaster those areas they chipped out. It will create an ugly mismatch no matter how careful they are with the chip-out and replaster.

Either the plaster has to be redone or you have to accept what is there. Anything else is going to leave noticeable marks...

Matt, the owner of the plaster company said the same thing this morning. Yes we do have waterline tile, it just matches the decking. So it seems it is replaster or keep it as is. But doesn't a replaster come with the same issues - won't they need to chip around my step/shelf/bench marker tile also to reapply new plaster? Will it look "refinished"? It's a new pool so I certainly don't want it to look anything but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt, the owner of the plaster company said the same thing this morning. Yes we do have waterline tile, it just matches the decking. So it seems it is replaster or keep it as is. But doesn't a replaster come with the same issues - won't they need to chip around my step/shelf/bench marker tile also to reapply new plaster? Will it look "refinished"? It's a new pool so I certainly don't want it to look anything but.

A complete replaster will look like new. As long as they do a good job being careful around the tiles, it should be fine. You could even have them knock off the step/ledge marker tiles that got grouted with the dark grout and redo that with the plaster as grout. But the waterline tiles will be fine.

Brian, just had the pleasure of reading this thread for the past hour. Fantastic stuff thank you for sharing. I live in Tampa, FL and am currently going through the motions of quoting and spec'ing out a pool. We have a small 10*14 foot covered patio that is woefully under sized for our outdoor space needs; and unfortunately all the PB want to throw up a composite roof which we have no interest in. Looking to tear it down and build a brand new covered patio extending the entire read of our home. Was hoping you could share a little more on your covered patio demo, rebuild, specs, etc. Who you used and cost would be helpful too (if you don't want to share publicly I'll happily take a PM) :D

Brian, just had the pleasure of reading this thread for the past hour. Fantastic stuff thank you for sharing. I live in Tampa, FL and am currently going through the motions of quoting and spec'ing out a pool. We have a small 10*14 foot covered patio that is woefully under sized for our outdoor space needs; and unfortunately all the PB want to throw up a composite roof which we have no interest in. Looking to tear it down and build a brand new covered patio extending the entire read of our home. Was hoping you could share a little more on your covered patio demo, rebuild, specs, etc. Who you used and cost would be helpful too (if you don't want to share publicly I'll happily take a PM) :D

Manny, I sent you a PM with specs. Our original builder grade covered patio was similar to yours - 8x16. Literally only big enough for a grill and a couple of chairs, all of which got wet when it rained. It's like a living room out there now!

Oh come on! Where better to shoot a flame thrower in your flip flops than south Florida???

I'd love to but even I would have trouble covering up a couple week old plaster job.

I know you aren't happy with the color but give it some time. Most pools don't look anything like they originally did after a few years. If you want more teal then let a little bit of algae take hold... Problem solved, for free!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd love to but even I would have trouble covering up a couple week old plaster job.

I know you aren't happy with the color but give it some time. Most pools don't look anything like they originally did after a few years. If you want more teal then let a little bit of algae take hold... Problem solved, for free!

Or a couple of gallons of root killer - Copper Sulfate usage???

(Sadly, the OP in that thread removed a lot of the original images showing the copper stains all over his plaster....his name was Brian too, weird?!?!)

I didn't even think of copper staining. That's even better!

I went and looked at a water feature at a shopping center today that had 3 - 2hp pumps with inline chlorinators on each pump all for maybe 1000 gallons. The plaster was flaking off, delaminated, heavily copper stained and scale 1/2" thick at the waterline.

The guy said he's going to paint it :roll:

Brian, remember no matter what happens, there's always paint!

I didn't even think of copper staining. That's even better!
Brian, remember no matter what happens, there's always paint!

{TFP Overlords now regretting "Expert" badge designation and reviewing By-Laws to see how easily it can be revoked....}

Matt, Matt, Matt..............what are we going to do with you??? Oh wait I know!!! Send out the Matt signal!! See I have found brain work tires someone out more than anything else so I will just keep your brain busy with "not following directions" folks! LOL

Brian, Did you offer to blast it for him??? LOL

Grumpie Ask Matt to share his pic of what his plaster used to look like and what it looks like now. That will show you how it "ages". See if you think you can live with it knowing it will change after a while.

Kim:kim:

You guys are having fun at my expense! But I can hack it. I just feel bad for all of the other readers like Manny who have to sort through 25 pages.

We have a beautiful pool and when we actually jump in it will all be worth it. It's only that the color, plumbing, automation, bubblers, and chemistry are all off..... [emoji14]

Grumpie you have some of the best help out there in your "house" so tell us what you want to work on first!

I can do the chemistry if you like!

Kim:kim:

I was just playing. I really do have the A team along for the ride with our build and appreciate every ounce of help. Once we get through this plaster issue, it will be COMPLETE!

Kim was referring to this -

26579b5988629295333fa565d38794dd.jpg

This is what a plaster patch looks likes (new versus 4 year old plaster) -

c86900d5aa4b3db8f7263ecf6732a0f3.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.