South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - INTERIOR FINISH PHASE

Brushing question. What is the desired technique? A sweeping once over or a vigorous scrub? And should I focus on any spots more than others, for example if I see some spots of uneven aggregate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is an awesome question! It is a combo of what you said and for the very reasons you stated. Sweeping, long strokes to get the plaster dust off the plaster. Scrubbing as needed using great care. Hopefully there will be not or little need for this.

Kim:kim:

Ok. So for the most part it is a push broom type sweep once over? You know, I looked for this info and couldn't find it on the site. Might be a good addition to the startup/plaster break in material.

We are working on the start up thread. I will make sure they add the brushing to it.

It is a good solid push down the wall onto the floor make sure to not miss where the wall meets the floor. Some people swear by the whale wall brush. The tail helps push the brush against the wall.

You may find you have little to no dust depending on how well they acid washed the plaster. Once you stop seeing the dust you are good!

South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - INTERIOR FINISH PHASE

It was a crazy weekend with kids, parties, etc. I never had a chance to test the filled pool water pre-startup. The startup technician showed up yesterday around 4pm (the pool finished filling on Saturday around 10pm). I wasn't home but my wife was. The extent of what I know was he dumped in two bins/containers of something which I am assuming is chlorine (both based on smell and test results). I'm sure he added other chemicals as well but that's the only thing my wife saw. I know he added a start up dose of sequestrant as he told me he would when explaining his process. He tested all of the equipment and started the filter/pump.

I did my first brushing last night with the lights on (really cool!). Is a chore tho lol. I decided to brush again this morning as it is certainly easier to do with some daylight. I was a bit disappointed that the pump was off when I woke up. Somehow the technician didn't get the automation schedule correct (we don't have our screenlogic kit yet and they haven't walked us through the equipment). So I'm not sure how long the pool sat still. I turned the pump on and then got to work. There was a noticeable amount of dust or chlorine kicking up (both times) and also quite a bit of dirt/sand accumulating on the pool floor.

I did my first real pool test after brushing, which feels like it might not be the best time to do it, but it's the only time I had before leaving for work. The results were:

Ph: 7.5 - 7.8 (see pic, prob closer to 7.8)
Cl/Br: off the charts (orange color)
TA: 80 (test was bluish then yellow due to high chlorine)
Ch: 125
FC: 44
CC: 1

I'm going to research these results some more today on my lunch break. But anything concerning? Or is this par for the course during the first 24 hours of startup? The one thing I noticed was my CH reading of 125 was just about the same as our source water test.

I also forgot to check the filter pressure until this morning. The reading was 12psi.

We've been too busy for pics and are waiting for the water and color to clear up a bit. We will be sure to share soon!

27198cafae8e8fb18a45a1eedc232195.jpg

The PH test is not valid when FC is above10. When reading that test block hold it in front of something white in bright light. It is important to keep your pH at 7.8 or lower at all times. But, you can't test ph until the FC drops.

There was a noticeable amount of dust or chlorine kicking up

Chlorine? Was it a powdered form of chlorine he dumped in? If so, you don't want that to sit on the plaster. Try to find out if he added Cal Hypo or Dichlor.

Is there a reason the startup guy raised the chlorine level so insanely high?

The one thing I noticed was my CH reading of 125 was just about the same as our source water test.

Were you expecting it to be different?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As for the Easytouch scheduling....

Press menu>schedules>POOL> change the scheduled time to 8:00AM-8:00AM and set the days of the week so all are underlined.

This will set your pump to run 24/7 at the speed that the POOL circuit has been assigned.

A couple of updates. I spoke to the startup guy about chemicals. It turns out the white concentrated material and dust I was seeing was excess plaster and dirt form the bubblers and jets. They confirmed that they had only added liquid chemicals. I also fixed the pump timer schedule and it ran overnight without a problem.

I tested this morning before brushing and here are my results:

FC: 29
CC: 0.5
PH: 7.8
TA: 90
CH: 200
CYA: 40-50 (an extra half drop got mixed in)

I joined pool logger to start keeping all of my test results. While it seems like we are headed in the right direction, today's test vs yesterday's may be apples vs oranges since I tested after brushing yesterday?

I haven't seen the pool in sunlight since startup due to my work schedule, but here's a quick shot from this morning:

ae5ca65c6bed05d45f51f429e722aee4.jpg

It is overcast and misty here today. The water color is certainly changing but it is still quite a bit aways (lighter) from the color we were expecting from seeing pools in person and product photos. It's still beautiful though!

I was pleasantly surprised to see the water temperature around 72-74 degrees since it was just recently filled and our overnight lows have been in the low 60s. Hopefully we can get away without needing the heat pump on for much of our winter seasons. On the flip side, it will probably be pretty warm in the summer.

Some furniture that we picked out will be delivered tomorrow. Just in time for our out of town company arriving for our 3 kids birthday party on Saturday. The twins turned 1 in late Jan and Jordan (our digger) turned 3 last week. Unfortunately we aren't having the party at our house since we haven't put down sod and finished landscaping and irrigation, but I know we will enjoy sitting out back pool side and under the patio!

Here is the living set en route:

f37582b0a799e5fad113e5c9871c4638.jpg

The grey cushions are actually lighter in person and we are gong to accent with some pops of color, especially a teal blue to match the water color. This set will be under the covered patio, so a good 20-30 feet away from the pool and out of the rain and sun elements. But what about pool side furniture like chaises, chairs, patio tables? Should we be staying away from any specific material due to the salt water?

I would stay away from material/fabric but that is me. I HATE mold and always worry about fabric/filling/cushions getting wet and getting moldy. Will it happen? I don't know............

Easy to clean and dry by the pool. Comfy and pretty by the house for me.

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Kim is suggesting you go the hillbilly route -

hillbilly deck furniture.jpg

I'm sure your neighbors in the HOA will just LOOOOOVE them...super-easy to clean....

- - - Updated - - -

You should also get one of these pool floats too -

hillbilly pool float.jpg

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Kim is suggesting you go the hillbilly route -

View attachment 56914

I'm sure your neighbors in the HOA will just LOOOOOVE them...super-easy to clean....

- - - Updated - - -

You should also get one of these pool floats too -

View attachment 56915

My EYES! Oh my EYES! Matt where is the world did you find those????????? The bad part is someone did them for real!!! EWWWWWWW

Just got word some of our visitors aren't going to make it out of NJ due to a winter storm. They must have heard about my new pool furniture from Matt and had second thoughts!

I haven't seen the pool in sunlight since startup due to my work schedule, but here's a quick shot from this morning:

ae5ca65c6bed05d45f51f429e722aee4.jpg

It is overcast and misty here today. The water color is certainly changing but it is still quite a bit aways (lighter) from the color we were expecting from seeing pools in person and product photos. It's still beautiful though!

I was pleasantly surprised to see the water temperature around 72-74 degrees since it was just recently filled and our overnight lows have been in the low 60s. Hopefully we can get away without needing the heat pump on for much of our winter seasons. On the flip side, it will probably be pretty warm in the summer.

Some furniture that we picked out will be delivered tomorrow. Just in time for our out of town company arriving for our 3 kids birthday party on Saturday. The twins turned 1 in late Jan and Jordan (our digger) turned 3 last week. Unfortunately we aren't having the party at our house since we haven't put down sod and finished landscaping and irrigation, but I know we will enjoy sitting out back pool side and under the patio!

Here is the living set en route:

f37582b0a799e5fad113e5c9871c4638.jpg

The grey cushions are actually lighter in person and we are gong to accent with some pops of color, especially a teal blue to match the water color. This set will be under the covered patio, so a good 20-30 feet away from the pool and out of the rain and sun elements. But what about pool side furniture like chaises, chairs, patio tables? Should we be staying away from any specific material due to the salt water?

I would highly recommend any sunbrella type cushions between the hot sun in FL and rain all others fail, trust me

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.