South Alabama build - return too close to surface?

Andrew_D

May 8, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
If you leave it as a fake return, I'd cap it as short as possible. Don't want a dead zone of no circulation where algae might grow.

Andrew

Auburn02

Oct 8, 2019
Mobile, AL
If you leave it as a fake return, I'd cap it as short as possible. Don't want a dead zone of no circulation where algae might grow.

Andrew
That's a good point. I think I decided against that anyway, I'd never be able to get over it when people ask "why isn't there any flow coming out of this one?" :LOL:

Auburn02

Oct 8, 2019
Mobile, AL
Well I've discovered some more plumbing issues, have the builder coming today hopefully to take a look. In addition to my concerns about that one return, I've discovered 3 leaks/drips at the filter. Both the input and output lines from the filter have a very slow but very consistent drip, as does the filter drain plug itself. I had noticed the pad was staying wet but for the past few weeks the entire filter body and most of the pipes were covered in condensation from the warm ambient temp and the cool pool water flowing through. Now that ambient temps have dropped some and the condensation is gone, I realized the pad is staying wet and discovered these drips on a closer look.

570D2597-2682-485D-81F2-856AAD2545EE.jpeg
19CA671E-CB9F-4BAB-B5F0-0D54CCCA60D9.jpeg
176DDB45-2651-48B5-855C-76A2B0C74C1A.jpeg
192ECB13-5D1D-4835-AAC0-A321349142D0.jpeg

To make matters more difficult, there are no unions anywhere in the plumbing. The fittings are threaded into the filter and then pipes are glued from there outward. So there's no tightening these fittings as they sit or removing them to apply sealant/etc, without cutting pipe.

Last edited:

Auburn02

Oct 8, 2019
Mobile, AL
Get unions installed on the filter piping. You will need to be able to take the top off the sand filter to deep clean it.
Yep, builder came and went and that's exactly what he'll have to do to even tighten these, let alone allowing for future maintenance.

He's also going to try a "slotted-style" (?) return fitting instead of the eyeball to see if it will direct the pressure more down and sideways (might be good for the ledge anyway) and reduce the sloshing when there is wave action in the pool. I assume one of these: Amazon.com: Hayward SP1419A 1-1/2-Inch MIP Inlet Fitting Hydrosweep with Slotted Opening: Garden & Outdoor

If we still get annoying sloshing with some wave action, we may yet add an additional valve for that return. But I think I've moved past plugging/relocating it at least.

Reactions: mknauss