Source of liquid chlorine

chimerahitman

Jun 26, 2019
Dominican Republic
Hello,

I live in the Dominican Republic and moved to a home with a pool just a month ago. It had a leak and was fixed, about a week ago. With fresh water I was in the search for how to keep it clear and came across a few different opinions; TFPC sounds sane, but it is hard to get any good "legit" liquid bleach. There's a store that sells the Clorox 'plain vanilla' 5.25% bleach but it goes out of stock frequently. Then there is the not so legit bleach that has no labeling of concentration.

The laundry detergent Clorox 'Triple Action' has other ingredients; I think it was lye. Is this good enough?

Apart from the Clorox brand, there is the local stuff with no labeling of what it contains. And if you really want doggy stuff, pickups go around with a large container of home brew bleach - heck you can buy 'half a cup' if one is tight on pesos. The local stuff tends to be cheaper, from the top of my head about 10 to 25% difference.

The pool stores only stock up on the triclor granules or pucks. Can the liquid bleach be tested out for purity or should I just horde the good stuff when available, aka buy the pallet?

Be sure the Clorox does not have any additives. Lye is OK, that is used to stabilize the sodium hypochlorite. But Cloromax, scents, splashless, etc is not good. It will cause foaming in your pool.

In your area, you get a lot of rain. You could use solid chlorine as long as you test your CYA regularly and keep your FC in range for the CYA. Then drain off and refill with rain as often as possible to manage the CYA level.

Be sure the Clorox does not have any additives. Lye is OK, that is used to stabilize the sodium hypochlorite. But Cloromax, scents, splashless, etc is not good. It will cause foaming in your pool.

In your area, you get a lot of rain. You could use solid chlorine as long as you test your CYA regularly and keep your FC in range for the CYA. Then drain off and refill with rain as often as possible to manage the CYA level.
Unfortunately we have had a couple of years where our area doesn't get the amount of rain it used to come down. It used to be that Oct-Dec was the rain season where it would rain for a couple of days straight every other week. Now it's just spotty at best and hard to predict.

For the amount of rain I have been getting, only if I channel the roof drain into the pool would I get a sizable increase of water level in the short periods of rain. This has its downsides because of all the junk/leaves/animal life it washes down with it.

I will double check what the bleach has added to it. It had a long form chemical name that sounded like the lye one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.