Something just ain't right...

willie1280

Jun 25, 2013
Green Bay, WI
Pool water clarity just isn't looking right the last few days, but the numbers all seem to be in check. Water has a cloudiness to it and a slightly green tinge.
I wanted to check here first before i SLAM it and render the pool out of commission as we head into a HOT weekend.

JJ_Tex

Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Unfortunately your FC is below the minimum recommended for a CYA of 60 and you are starting to get algae. Look at the chart in my signature for the appropriate levels (7-9 normally, 24 for SLAM). You should prepare to SLAM to get rid of the algae, then make sure you keep your chlorine up.

Donldson

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio
wanted to check here first before i SLAM it and render the pool out of commission as we head into a HOT weekend.
Why would following the SLAM Process preclude you from using the pool? It's perfectly fine to swim in a pool up to SLAM level, you'll barely notice the difference.

Anyway, yeah, that water is pretty hazy. As mentioned, your FC is not in check and that's what caused this. Try to avoid letting it drop below the minimum per the FC/CYA Chart to avoid this in the future.

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
OV, CA
Thanks everyone. Not sure why i had it in my head that you couldn't swim in anything beyond target FC.
Because that is what we have been drilled into our heads by the pool stores.. "Shock and don't swim." But here, in the TFP bubble, SLAM within the guidelines and swim if you can still see the bottom of your pool

poolnoobgrandma

Gold Supporter
Sep 15, 2018
Seminole, FL
I think this is why people initially hesitate to increase chlorine if things are just a little "off." Since I started doing that and keeping FC on the high end of recommended range, I have had 0 issues. I think folks want to keep chlorine as low as possible because they remember burning eyes and chlorine smell from the NOT trouble free pools of childhood.

Last edited:

jstblush

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Pasco, WA
I think you're probably right poolnoob. Funny how learning and understanding how things work in our pools changes everything! Love it!
Sherry