[SOLVED] Leaky Val-Pak Push/Pull Valve

jeffr47

Bronze Supporter
Oct 19, 2018
Rockville, MD
I have an old brash Val-Pak Push Pull valve, dated back to when the pool was new I guess, before my time. One of the fittings was heavily wrapped in electrical tape, and in the process of cleaning things up, I discovered the fitting underneath was completely shot. Sprays water everywhere when the pump runs.

Fun video: IMG_3734.MOV (sorry about the shaky camera, was trying to not get wet!)

I know little about this fitting - it appears that it is threaded where it going into the main valve. Does that seem right? IMG_3731.jpg
Hopefully I can "just" unscrew it and replace it? (famous last words)

IMG_3731.jpgIMG_3730.JPGIMG_3733.jpg

Last edited:

jeffr47

Bronze Supporter
Oct 19, 2018
Rockville, MD
Alright, word I'm getting is that that fitting is not threaded. So it's basically either replace the whole valve or figure out a repair. Tape was holding it before, so I guess I'll go with that until its time for a new filter.... not sure how many years my VA-52 has left in it anyway.

jeffr47

Bronze Supporter
Oct 19, 2018
Rockville, MD
Perhaps not the most beautiful of fixes, but seems to be working better than the previous owner's tape "fix". I got a tube of RectorSeal EP-200 and applied that to the damaged fitting, making sure I worked it into all the edges. Let it dry over night (which is much longer than required) and powered up the pump in the morning. No leak — better than before actually! Hopefully I can get a few more years out of my VA-52 this way.

IMG_3735.jpg
IMG_3736.jpg