dntboles

Jun 29, 2019
Boerne, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is NOT a racist question... I have a Polaris 280 Black Max and the backup collar broke (again). I bought a generic G57 white collar, designed the Polaris 280, from Amazon but it doesn't fit. The threads are different. When I bought it, I thought it was just a different color (white) but are the white parts, in this case G57, really incompatible with the black max? Black max collar is G67. I don't know whether I got a bad part from Amazon or if the G57 and G67 are really incompatible. My next option is to go to the local pool place and see what they have that will fit. Thanks, y'all!

Hey DNT !! I know nothing about these. But I have seen it a bazillion times where manufacturers change details between model years to force you to upgrade when the old parts are no longer available. Or also when 2 things that should be the same, from the same manufacture, aren’t.

Reactions: dntboles
My SWG cleaning caps, for example. They should have fit the heater and filter too. It’s all 2 inch Pentair unions, right ? Nope. They only fit the SWG. They would have worked AWESOME keeping the mice out while stored in my garage for the winter. :(

Know who didn’t let me down ? Duct tape. :ROFLMAO:

It would be really unusual for Polaris to change a part like this. One thing they have always been good at is parts compatibility across their product line. All the backup valves are the same and all the collars "should" be the same. So I'm kind of flummoxed that they have 2 incompatible collars. Maybe it just needs a little "body english" to get it screwed on?

Here's one that says it works on both.
Polaris G57 Backup Valve Collar for Polaris 280/380 and BlackMax Pool Cleaners | Leslie's Pool Supplies

I didn't think you were being racist. Black collars matter! Black collars matter!

Here's the funny thing... that G57 is $10.49 and the cheapest I've found on any of them is the black G67 from the same place, Leslie's, for $6.99. I replaced one in Jan and I thought it froze, even though logic said otherwise. This one that just broke didn't freeze... I know that.

Possibilities:
1) the knock-off Amazon one is messed up. It was a 2-pack and both are the same. It's a threading issue that's consistent with both.
2) G57 and G67 are incompatible. I need to pick up some chlorine anyway so I'll stop by a pool place and fit-check one of their rings.

It just seemed weird. But I'm thinking like a customer who wants convenience, not a company who wants to force you to buy more parts as they break.

Reactions: dntboles
It really would not make sense to have different parts

But I'm thinking like a customer who wants convenience,
You guys just don't understand corporations. Some senior executive needed to justify his otherwise useless existence in the company and made a power point presentation on why this was needed. Then he patted himself on the back and everyone below him joined in too. Oh how he is needed for all that he does now. The emperors new clothes are LOVELY.

Solved: official Polaris G57 collar fits perfectly fine, in place of the old G67, with color being the only difference I could tell. So that means the good buy I got on Amazon just said "good bye" as I dropped it off at the UPS store.

Reactions: JamesW and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.