mrjetson707

Sep 7, 2021
Martinez, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was thinking of getting solar for my pool since I live in California, I've read it's the best option. I'm curious how much solar I would actually need, and what pump would work best. originally I was going to get 1.65hp vs since my pool is on the smaller side but since I want the solar I've been told to go with the 3hp. thinking of the pentair intelliflo. my pool is roughly 11,000 gallons. its an odd shape but the surface area is prob a little more than 300 sq ft. I'm new to pool ownership so any advice is appreciated

edit: I have solar panels for electricity so half my roof is taken. the other half gets less sun by a couple hours. is that a problem? it will still get sun most of the day but the neighbors trees shade part of my roof

Last edited:
Get the 3hp Intelloflo VS pump. It will be more efficient running at the equivalent low speed compared to the 1.65 hp pump. So you are losing nothing with the larger pump and gaining flexibility.

Any solar panel you put in will add heat, the more the better of course. 80 sq feet will show a huge increase when the sun is 90 degrees to your panels. Also alignment in relation to the sun affects how hot those panels get.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.