Solar question

Jknelson65

Apr 5, 2021
FL
1.85 THP VS pump @ at 2000 rpm, 8 panels (12’ up on roof), new VRV. When solar is on, there are constant “champagne” bubbles from returns in pool. Spring check valves on 2” lines to/from panels. No suction side air leaks, but I can’t get the bubbles to stop. If I increase the pump speed the bubble intensity increases also...

Great.

Bubbles come from the suction side. So check your pump basket lid gasket, clean, use pool lubricant, and reseal. Check pump drain plug seals, any valves on suction side, etc.

Air comes from the suction side. It cannot enter the pressure side.

When your solar is called for, does the pump ramp up to a higher rpm to clean the system of air and then ramp down to operating rpm?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I only get the bubbles when solar is running...
You have more suction head when the solar is running. Most likely source is the pump basket lid. Has it been lubricated with proper pool lubricant? Silicone base, non PTFE.

O-ring and pump basket lid are fine. Something odd started showing up...pump basket randomly losing “prime”. Pump running fine and suddenly the water level in basket drops, turn off pump, re-prime basket and it’s fine for a while. Then randomly it wil drop again...

Have you tried running the hose over everything while it is running to see if the bubbles go away? It must be a leak but could be where the plumbing fittings meet. I had a leak once where a slip fitting was leaking. It also provided tons of bubbles. I slathered PVC cement all over all the suction side fittings I could find and the leak went away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.