Solar question

Jknelson65

Apr 5, 2021
FL
1.85 THP VS pump @ at 2000 rpm, 8 panels (12’ up on roof), new VRV. When solar is on, there are constant “champagne” bubbles from returns in pool. Spring check valves on 2” lines to/from panels. No suction side air leaks, but I can’t get the bubbles to stop. If I increase the pump speed the bubble intensity increases also...

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Welcome to the forum!
Do you happen to have a SaltWater Chlorine Generator?
Please fill out your signature when you can.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Great.

Bubbles come from the suction side. So check your pump basket lid gasket, clean, use pool lubricant, and reseal. Check pump drain plug seals, any valves on suction side, etc.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Air comes from the suction side. It cannot enter the pressure side.

When your solar is called for, does the pump ramp up to a higher rpm to clean the system of air and then ramp down to operating rpm?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Interesting. Will have to wait for some of our members with solar experience.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
I only get the bubbles when solar is running...
You have more suction head when the solar is running. Most likely source is the pump basket lid. Has it been lubricated with proper pool lubricant? Silicone base, non PTFE.

Jknelson65

Apr 5, 2021
FL
O-ring and pump basket lid are fine. Something odd started showing up...pump basket randomly losing “prime”. Pump running fine and suddenly the water level in basket drops, turn off pump, re-prime basket and it’s fine for a while. Then randomly it wil drop again...

Pool_Medic

In The Industry
Apr 1, 2018
Bangor Maine
If you’ve changed nothing then I guarantee there is a bad o ring, bad cover fitting or spider crack somewhere.

Also check the weir to be sure it’s free floating and not stuck in closed position.

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Have you tried running the hose over everything while it is running to see if the bubbles go away? It must be a leak but could be where the plumbing fittings meet. I had a leak once where a slip fitting was leaking. It also provided tons of bubbles. I slathered PVC cement all over all the suction side fittings I could find and the leak went away.

Jknelson65

Apr 5, 2021
FL
They were out this morning and lubed/replaced all o-rings..everywhere. Found a return in spa that was actually drawing water back into the return! Actually found 2 of them filled with “debris”...🤦‍♂️

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support