Solar Pool Cover Question.

tj_shopper said:
I've never used gorilla tape, so I hope it works. Do you suggest that I cut it at the spot that the rails intersect it and then tape it up on both sides of the cut so that it doesn't tear anymore?

Make a straight cut where the rail interferes with the cover, then fold a small piece of G-tape over the top and bottom of the cover where the cut ends. If you picture a V the rail fits in the open end and the tape is at the pointed end to re-enforce the point.

Great description. I was tellling my husband about this last night and of course, he rolled his eyes and said "another one of those projects, huh"? :p He's afraid that if we pull the cover at the wrong spot, it'll rip at the spot we finish cutting the cover. But, your description of where to put the gorilla tape makes sense and it would reinforce that spot.

I guess there's no perfect solution. Currently, we have sand bags and clorine bottles filled with sand holding down the pool cover. It's not pretty, but it works. The only problem is that I need him to move the sand bags. It's too heavy for me. I'm going to work on getting him to agree to cutting the solar cover. :wink:

Thanks again!

tj_shopper said:
I guess there's no perfect solution. Currently, we have sand bags and clorine bottles filled with sand holding down the pool cover. It's not pretty, but it works. The only problem is that I need him to move the sand bags. It's too heavy for me. I'm going to work on getting him to agree to cutting the solar cover. :wink:
Thanks again!

Friends of ours were weighing down their solar cover with long boards which are very heavy. They've just moved into their new home and, during a visit, we suggested they cut the cover to fit the water surface. J. simply handed us a scissors and said, "Go ahead." Truly, when the cover is flat on the water surface, even allowing for a few air pockets, it's very difficult for wind to lift it up, especially on an AGP where the top rail extends over the pool by a few inches and acts sort of like a roof overhang.

We've noticed no tears at all even though I move the cover twice each day, and I'm none to gentle when I take it off the pool.

We cut our cover into 3 sections, which makes it easier to work with...cut it with a razor blade and have never had an issue with it ripping.
And one person can remove it now (still takes 2 to put it on properly)...also, now that it's pretty hot here, I can store it by rolling each section up and stacking them, it's easier to move around and fit into a corner of the garage that way.

Sorry it took me so long to get back here with the picture. This picture is one of the solar cover after we cut it up and used the Gorilla tape. It worked like a charm. The cover never blows off now -- no matter how windy it gets. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Attachments

• Resized DSC00674.jpg
    Resized DSC00674.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 367
Has anyone ever seen or heard of these round solar pads I think they are called...They are round pads that are maybe two to three feet across. You put 8-10 in a 24 foot pool. They are rigid and float on the surface but it is not one solid cover...They seem to be made of the same material as a blanket but are easier to put on and remove, and are not a problem to store. Does anyone know what I am talking about...I saw them at Leslies, and wondered if anyone ever used them?

cubbybeave08 said:
Has anyone ever seen or heard of these round solar pads I think they are called...They are round pads that are maybe two to three feet across. You put 8-10 in a 24 foot pool. They are rigid and float on the surface but it is not one solid cover...They seem to be made of the same material as a blanket but are easier to put on and remove, and are not a problem to store. Does anyone know what I am talking about...I saw them at Leslies, and wondered if anyone ever used them?
They are Solar Rings and do not get good reviews on them. I researched covers a ton recently and saw those and put them into my consider list and then did the research. Search for Solar Ring and you will get a quite a few hits here at TFP. I ended up with one of the bubblewrap type solar covers and custom cut it to fit our free form pool. The cover was 18x36 and was just a hair over $100 at Lowes including a 10% coupon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
carlos31 said:
I won't be closing my pool but I won't be swimming in it either!

Is there any reason not to put the solar cover on it and pull it back off in the spring?

Does an IG gunite pool need to be brushed or vacuumed on an ongoing basis?
An answer 3 months later. :lol:

I had mine on for a part of the fall/winter to stop so many leaves from going into the pool. It is now off of the pool. On a weekly basis I let the Polaris cleaner do it's thing and also scoop up any leaves that managed to make their way into it in addition to brushing. Another reason I pulled the cover off completely now is so that the chemicals don't get to it when it can't get even close to the desired effect. When Spring rolls around, it will go back on so we can swim again. Water temps just over 40 here. Brrr.... Makes cleaning the skimmer baskets a pain with such cold water. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.