Solar plumbing ?

Hayseed

Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Keyser, WV
IMG_7386.jpgI have been looking at various plumbing schematics, to understand them so I can plumb my panels to pool. I have run across something that I can't understand. In all the schematic designs the thing I don't understand is in all the designs. So I am not able to use a different method, so I am hoping someone can first, understand my question, cause I am not that good of an explainer, and second tell me how this plumbing set up involving the three way switch, the filter and the one way flow valve works together.
Here goes nothing. This pertains to fully being able to drain the panel of water in winter, so water will not freeze and break pipe. But in the four schematics above, and all the others I have seen, the problem I can't understand how it works deals with the water pipe leaving the filter, this pipe carries water from filter, to and through the one way check valve, to and through the three way valve. Now if I try to drain this section of pipe, I would first open the three way valve to allow the water to drain down to the check valve, back to the filter, then drain the filter of this water. But how can the water that is between the three way valve, and the check valve, that only lets water run through it in one direction get through the check valve, to drain back to the filter? Seems the water would be trapped above the check valve.

The water does not drain from the three way back through the check valve and into the filter. In fact that is the entire point of the check valve there . It is to prevent water from flowing backward through the filter and taking dirt with it back into the pump or into the pool. The water drains down through the return Plumbing directly to the pool like the normal water flow when the pump is running.

hs,

If you will look at the last drawing in the lower right, I'll try and walk you though it..

Water is pushed out of the filter by the pump.. It goes up and through the input check valve and into the 3-way valve. As drawn, it can't go to the right, so it has to go to the left and up to the Solar panels. It than gets hot and comes back down through the return check valve. It can't go into the 3-way valve, so it continues down and into the pool.

Now, when we do NOT want to use the solar, we rotate the 3-way 180 degrees...

Water leaves the filter, goes through the input check valve and gets to the 3-way valve.. It can no longer go to the left and into the solar panels, because we have turned the solar off. The water can only go to the right.. It can't go up into the output side of the solar panels because of the return check valve. It will then go down and into the pool.

When the pump is off, the water in the panels will drain back through the 3-way valve, even in the off position because it has a small hole that allows the water to drain back to the pool. The solar 3-way valve is slightly different than a normal 3-way valve.

I am not sure if that answered you question or not.. If not, please let us know and I'm sure someone here can help.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You guys have explained it just as the charts show it. I understand as you do how it works. My only question was not addressed here. I asked one thing and got answers to another thing. My only concern is, how do you drain the water trapped between the check valve and the three way valve. I know this three way valve is designed to slowly leak off. This just adds water to the water that has already been trapped there. Between the three way and check valve below it. How do you go about draining the water between the threeway valve and the check valve that will not let water through. You can open the three way but the water will not travel up out of the pipe back into the pool because of gravity? Water trapped between three way and check valve will freeze and burst the pipe. It's either I am explaining myself wrong or I can't understand the way that water can leave that part of the system, without either sucking or blowing it out.

There is no water trapped there. It can flow into the pool along the normal water path. If you are talking about winterizing, then just just blow all the pipes out.

If you use a Jandy check valve, you can open it up to drain it.

The screws are removable and the valve can be drained.

There are also check valves that have built in unions so that the check valve can be drained or you can install unions to allow the check valve to be removed and drained.

Alternatively, if you use a blower to clear the lines, it will blow out any water trapped above the check valve.

Example of check valve with unions and a jandy style check valve where the top can be removed.

http://bakerlabs.com/solar/images/Valve%20detail%201.JPG

Is your dog a cavachon?

I already purchased the standard type check valves, having not seen this problem before hand. So what type of fitting/fittings do you install, and what is the called for (air) source used? I have a wet dry vac and an air compressor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.