Solar panels worth it?

JA,

Not for me, but I live in Texas.. :mrgreen:

I would love to have solar, but it only works if you cover your pool when not in use.. Otherwise, any gain you get in the daytime, gets taken away in the nighttime.

I just can't see me playing with the cover everyday.. Just too lazy..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: PoolGate
Solar panels here in Virginia. Wow, 7k seems like a lot (can you get multiple quotes?). When you got the quote, what is the ratio of your pool surface area to the area of the solar panels? I believe your solar panels should be at least 50% of your pool area. Mine are just above 50% (that's all I could fit) and I paid around $4500 - $5000. So the good part about solar is that after the initial payout, its almost free to run. I say almost free because my pump runs in fast speed (4x the electricity as slow) for 2 hours a day and slow speed 6 hours. When solar kicks in, the pump has to run in fast speed to get it to the 2 story roof. Could add up to a buck extra to run per day possibly. Still better than having your gas bills increase 1k-2k per year with a gas heater!

I hate that "10-15 degrees quote" - it depends on the weather. So right now outdoor temp is around 70F and the pool is around 65F. When I run it all day now, it will increase the pool temp a few degrees with full sun. In the summer with the warm nights and high humidity, NOW you are looking at a 10 degree difference. So, I purchased a few small solar covers (I can put a few on myself vs. asking for help to put one giant one on) and use them at the bookends of the pool season to help retain the small heat generated by the solar covers. No numbers to back that up right now but I know it does make a difference.

Reactions: Big_kid
I have 2 pools in Arizona one with solar, one without solar. Today the non-solar pool is about 75 degrees vs, the solar pool 88 degrees. For me its definitely worth it because it extends my swimming season from April thru Oct. I don't use a solar cover and even if there is some heat loss overnight I am still ahead and make it up fairly quickly. I would say the 10-15 degree spread is accurate of course it depends on the weather conditions and installation specifics (my panels are 100% of pool area and my Easytouch automation already had a solar function built in). I think I paid $5500 five years ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.