Solar panel pool heater pipe connector leak

Dec 8, 2016
Memphis, TN
Hello, I am a very new pool owner and inherited a pool with solar panels that are used for heating. I live in Memphis, TN and every pool person I've had come out here has laughed under their breathe, generally saying that no one around here has those, and they are made for sunnier climates (CA, FL, etc). Anyhow, I can't find anyone in Memphis that has a clue on how they work or even how to fix them. Anyhow, I have a leak at one of the connectors for the panels, not actually on the panel itself, and wanted to see if anyone could clue me in exactly what I need to get to fix it? I've been thinking of maybe just getting some of that flex seal tape, until I can replace the entire connector with the proper parts. I posted some pictures below and a link to youtube to demonstrate issue, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've searched the site for solar panel related posts and didn't see anything that was related to fixing a leak at the connectors, and I'm sorry if I missed it and asking a question that already has an answer.

Youtube video link showing the leak in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsRzt66zRK8

solar_panel_pipe_leak_low.jpg

Those look like Fafco panels. With some sort of neoprene?? Connector held in place by hose clamps?

Is there a pvc glued connector under that?

Do all you joints look like this?

Is that insulation over a underlying pvc connector?

I will add additional photos to help others who have requested more info on the setup.

Someone mentioned that the black bandage like "stuff" is insulation wrapped around a pipe underneath? It looks like the link to the PVC flexible coupling is exactly what I need, I just wasn't sure about what exactly the coupling is wrapped with as shown in the photo above? I'm not an expert on PVC pipe or plumbing for that matter so please excuse the basic questions.

solar_panel_setup.jpg

Due to quota restrictions I will have to link the following photos:

solarpanel1 | Malakai Duncan | Flickr

SMdm2H

SMdm2H

https://flic.kr/p/SMdm2H

The pvc flex coupling may not work for two reasons. It isn't designed for pressure and it may not hold up well to UV light. I would use either radiator hose or order some rubber couplers made for solar panels. It will either be 1-1/2" or 2". In fact, now that my panels are 5 years old I may just order a new set myself to be on the safe side. It is cheap insurance against springing a leak at an inconvenient time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.