Solar panel location is 20 feet away

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
Let me preface this by saying I am not handy at all. I want to buy a solar panel for my 15 foot above ground pool. The pump and filter is in a shaded part of my backyard and the closest place to put my solar panels is the other side of the yard about 20 feet away. How would I connect that to my current filter? I am looking at these 2 possibly..... see links below. Unless someone has a better one?? I have regular flexible tubing hoses......

I don't want to roof mount it as I am not comfortable doing that.

SmartPool Solar Arc2 Swimming Pool Heater S202

Doheny's Above Ground Pool Solar Heating System For Sale | Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast

Get the most panel area for your money. The first set of panels are about 20x the cost of the second set of panels per sq-ft. Go with the second.

Do you have enough flexible tubing to plumb 20' away? You could use ridged PVC for at least part of the run if it is straight.

Get the most panel area for your money. The first set of panels are about 20x the cost of the second set of panels per sq-ft. Go with the second.

Do you have enough flexible tubing to plumb 20' away? You could use ridged PVC for at least part of the run if it is straight.

Ok thanks about the 2nd one. The run isn't straight so pvc isn't an option. I guess I could buy hoses that are like 20 feet. A hardware store near my will cut to size.

Solar heating is all about sqft exposure to the sun. I would not get that little one you linked to.

Your pump can easily push the water out 20+ feet to the panels. I would recommend using PVC pipe and not the corrugated hoses to help maintain good flow rates.

Your pool is 177 sqft. Any size solar will add some heat. In NY, you would likely want to get as much area as you can up to 100% of your pool area.

Are you using a solar cover? That is #1 for retaining heat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another important multiplier with solar is flow rate.
Two panels or even better 3 panels hooked in parallel will give much better results then a single, of course due to increased surface area, but also in increased flow rate.
I put up two this summer in series, equal to a single panel in flow rate. Then changed them to parallel with much improved heating. Plan is to add a third next year.
The reason being is if each panel flows 1/2 sq inch fed with a 1 1/2 feed and 1 hp pump at 3400 gph, two flows 1 inch and 3 flows 1.5 inch. Those tiny tubes allow for good coverage but poor flow I have found.

You can always ground mount them if you have the space. That would keep you from going up on the roof with a pocket full of screws. The more panels the better and connecting them in parallel is a good way to keep the flow rates up. You don't even need the fancy box to try them out you can just lay the panels on the ground. They will work better and last longer mounted off the ground tho.

Attachments

• IMG_20170625_130658.jpg
    IMG_20170625_130658.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 53
do they sell solar panels that can be used with a submersible pump and garden hose????

The flow rate for those pumps is usually pretty low. Generally you want to target at least 0.1 GPM/sq-ft of panels to make sure the panels stay efficient. You probably won't get close to that with a sub and hose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.