Central NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
Anyone have any experience with solar heaters similar to this? I have a 16'x20' roof over my pool deck that I could use to mount several and get some extended use out of my pool but wanted to get actual feedback, instead of vague reviews. Since my pump is on the opposite side of the pool, I'm thinking to hard plumb the panels down to the ground where they would terminate in spigots. I'd also add valves to the pool plumbing that terminate in spigots as well and then use 3/4" heavy duty hose to make the run around the pool and to the heater spigots.

Sound reasonable?

Those panels are horrible imo, connections are very brittle and poorly built. The rubber panel connect onto a a row of spigots which breaks easily.

Any solar panel that shows them being mounted horizontally should raise concerns, it’s the wrong way to mount them.

Rum,

I've had these Aquatherm (see installation manual below) panels installed for 5 years. No troubles at all and they work great. Quality, thermal and hydraulic properties are very important but in our location the fastening system is also very critical as well. We had their fasteners installed per manufacturer recommendations and have survived serious Florida thunderstorms plus sustained 90 mph for about half a day with absolutely no damage. When these wear out we'll replace in kind. Right now they are still on the original Hayward Goldline controller but we'll soon migrate to the Intellicenter we installed recently.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Attachments

• Aquatherm-InstallationManual.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
Reactions: Rumbleehockey03
Agree dont bother with horizontal panels waste of time and money. I did a DIY wasnt hard at all just takes time I have a thread up somewhere on it. Biggest issue u have is pump location from the sound of it. You cant put panels closer to pump on house?

I've have had 4 - 2'x20' horizontal panels (sungrabbers) on my roof for the past 8 years. They have made it through a hurricane and tropical storm winds.
You can often find the entire kits (4 - 2'x20' panels, mounting hardware, check vavles, vacuum relief valve, Hayward Solar Controller and Actuating valve) for about $1000.
I have had to go up and fix a few leaks over the years with plugs, but I have had to do that on my parents vertical FAFCO panels that were installed by their pool builder as well.
If you are a DIY person and want to save money they are an option.
However I would agree if money is not a issue, I would personally go for the nicer vertical ones. They will last longer, have less maintenance and I think they look nicer on the roof. |
My 2 cents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.