Solar Heat - Whats the Best GPH to Run?

coopgraphic

Nov 28, 2019
Northern Ohio
I have 4 linked panels that are 2' x 20' heating my 15' x 26' pool. They are mounted on an angled frame that is on the ground with the highest point being at the height of the pool edge. I had a 1500 GPH Intex pump that I used that seemed to be doing a good job at heating the pool but I'm wondering if thats the best speed for solar or should I be using a slower pump or faster pump? Thoughts?

-Chris

0.1 GPM/sqft is the rule of thumb. 160 sqft would mean 16 GPM. Also, 1500 GPH pump will not actually produce 1500 GPH on pool plumbing, especially with solar. Much less than that so may be below the 16 GPM target. If the inlet to outlet temperature rise is more than 5 degrees, the flow rate is too low. The other way to tell is if the panels feel hot to the touch.

Ok, its definitely more than 5 degrees. It comes out like hot water from a tap when the inlet temp is about 75 degrees. I assume that the higher flow rate would make it more efficient at heating by using smaller temp increases with more volume?

Ok, its definitely more than 5 degrees. It comes out like hot water from a tap when the inlet temp is about 75 degrees. I assume that the higher flow rate would make it more efficient at heating by using smaller temp increases with more volume?
Yes, exactly. The higher the temperature difference, the more heat loss to the environment.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Almost any pool pump will work for solar. The marginal pumps are the Intex series of pumps which can be too small for solar. Why aren't you using your main pump for solar?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.