Solar Cover Reel Choices

bamm

Oct 20, 2009
I've quickly learned how much easier my life would be with a reel for our solar cover.

We have a 12ga solar cover which is 18'x40' lg to cover our entire in-ground pool including the walk-in steps on the one end.

I like the Rocky's Roller Model 3A, but, it is very $$$$. I do realize you get what you pay for though. SolarCovers.com has a low profile reel, in their "best" category which is somewhat similar to the Rocky"s Roller but for less money. Does anyone have any ideas as to how well that particular reel would hold up compared to the Rocky's Roller model 3A?

Any other suggestions for a reel that would be of a quality comparable to the Rocky's Roller for less money?

I'm glad MITS bumped this. Unfortunately I don't have a difinitive answer for you. However, considering the sheer size of that cover I'd think you're going to want a pretty substantial reel to handle that thing.

I have a 16x30 kidney that had a thin 8 mil cover. The reel i had was about $200 and did not anchor to the deck. Since its a kidney, the reel sits over the pool with about 3 feet of cover behind it. Four times, after a wind strom at night, i woke up with one end of the reel in the pool :shock: :shock: I was terrified my liner would be ripped to shreds.
Last week, i bought a new Rocky's with deck anchors, and a new silver on one side (water side) clear on the other 16 mil solar cover. I installed both this weekend. The old rel i had would not even begin to hold the 16 mil cover, much less roll it up. The rocky's is a GOOD reel. It's expensive. I paid a little over $400 for it, but it looks like it will last.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.