Jul 23, 2021
Mchenry, illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,
So I’m new to the pool world and I absolutely love this forum because I am getting great advice from very wise people.
My question is about my solar cover. I read that if i keep it on 24 hours the Algae is going to tend to grow so I want to take it off during the day and put it on at night to keep the water warm.
I have a hard time getting the cover off by myself and being able to fold it up and put it away so I was reading about cutting it in pieces but there seems like there’s difficulties with that too. I don’t want to get a reel but I’m wondering if there’s anything bad about leaving the pool uncovered 24/7 during the summer?
Thanks 😊

Opposite situation here in Texas but that's beside the point. I use the solar cover starting around mid Sept, night temps in mid 60s. So I have 2 PCV pipes 12' & I use them like chopsticks & fold in half then fold again. Makes removing manageable & quick. Hope this helps. Almost forgot . I have a 18X54 Intex.

Reactions: Jennybird
Mine stayed on for a week + at a time if we were busy doing other things in life. Around the 1 week mark it would ‘outgas’ the CCs that had built up over the week and have a unpleasant smell about it, immediately upon opening. It would dissipate in a minute or less and be right back to normal.

Also, whatever rain/ sprinkler water and pollen was on the cover would inevitably fall in the pool and cause momentary cloudiness. It also cleared itself in about a minute. This was my least favorite thing as my heart sank everytime the pool got fouled up. Even though I knew it would be ok in a minute. THAT was my PERFECT water you stupid cover !!!!! How dare you ?!!! Lol.

If you are close to minimum FC, it may be enough to push you over the edge upon opening. If you are in target range you should be fine. If you run a bit ‘hot’ you have even less to worry about. :)

Reactions: ghall6292 and KJB1
*also, Any puddles that form from the rain or morning dew will end up much warmer than they should have been on their own, and quickly. They fester and go stagnant in no time. Use the pool brush to sweep them back into the pool along the edges where they will be circulated amongst the pool volume. I was amazed how quickly mold and algae grew in the seams of the cover on the top. Keeping the water from puddling helped a great deal.

It only took 2 minutes after a big storm and was worth every second.

*also, Any puddles that form from the rain or morning dew will end up much warmer than they should have been on their own, and quickly. They fester and go stagnant in no time. Use the pool brush to sweep them back into the pool along the edges where they will be circulated amongst the pool volume. I was amazed how quickly mold and algae grew in the seams of the cover on the top. Keeping the water from puddling helped a great deal.

It only took 2 minutes after a big storm and was worth every second.
I’d like to be able to keep it on at night and remove it in the morning but it’s hard to manage in 1 piece. We were considering cutting it, but people have said it gets bunched up in places and it makes it more difficult to work with. How would we attach maybe some kind of pipe to roll it up maybe? I need macguyver!

How would we attach maybe some kind of pipe to roll it up maybe
Lots of folks have MacGuyver’d that one
We were considering cutting it, but people have said it gets bunched up in places and it makes it more difficult to work with
if the return jet pushes the cover too much, aim it downward a bit because it’s only high for skimming which you aren’t doing with the cover on anyway. You may need to raise the water a bit too.

Reactions: Jennybird
Lots of folks have MacGuyver’d that one

if the return jet pushes the cover too much, aim it downward a bit because it’s only high for skimming which you aren’t doing with the cover on anyway. You may need to raise the water a bit too.
Good to know, we will try that. What do you think about cutting it in half to make it easier to get off?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Opposite situation here in Texas but that's beside the point. I use the solar cover starting around mid Sept, night temps in mid 60s. So I have 2 PCV pipes 12' & I use them like chopsticks & fold in half then fold again. Makes removing manageable & quick. Hope this helps. Almost forgot . I have a 18X54 Intex.
Any pics of the process?

I leave my cover on 24/7 all year long - the sun does help with sanitation but I keep my FC up and don't have a problem. I only take it off or if the pool gets too warm to swim in the summer. I vote for cutting it in pieces - I have done this and it is much easier for one person to completely remove. Sometimes for a quick dip or a few laps we just pull enough up off the edge to make a lane.

Reactions: KJB1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.