Solar and SWCG Design Question

Paulk

Silver Supporter
Oct 8, 2017
Berkeley, California
I'm just in the process of designing my system and am curious. I going with an AG 15,000 gal pool, and I'm going solar direct for the pump. I'm also going to go solar direct for the swg. I assumed that I wouldn't want the swg running without the pump running, and that isn't as easy solar direct as it would be for an AC system. For an AC system I'd probably just wire the swg into the same timer as the pump. I'm curious how MUCH of a problem it is if the swg is going without the pump for a short period? I mean, did you find that if it went for 15 minutes without the pump that was a problem? I'f so, I'll have to design around that and make sure that this is tied directly with a timer.
pk

pk,

I "assume" that the pump and SWCG you plan to use are both driven by DC voltage and not AC voltage.. ???

If this is true, it really makes no difference... you still need to make sure the SWCG is never on when the pump is off. The likelihood of failure is small, but it is not zero, so we always recommend that the SWCG be controlled by the same timer that the pump is on, or in the case where the pump has an internal timer, that the SWCG is on a separate timer that is set to operate inside the window where the pump is known to be on.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Hi Jim
Thanks for the response. Yes, both are going to be DC rather than either AC. I don't want to run the pump 24/7 and intended to only run it while there was sun. I could further reduce it's run time by putting it on a timer I suppose. (an AC timer). I'm curious though and as I'm not all that familiar yet with swgs, what if the power level to the swg was just much lower when the pump was not on? By this I mean, IF the solar power for the pump, (~1000 watts of power) was reduced by cloudy day enough to slow the pump way down. Of course the power for the swg, (I don't know yet, but I sort of think this is more in the realm of 70 watts) being a separate panel, but also it would be considerably less. Would this then make the problem considerably less likely? Again, I'm just curious as to what the problem is and how much I need to guard against it.
As you can see, even if there is a timer that controls both, because the two are directly connected to the panels, IF there are enough clouds that cover the panels for a few minutes, such that the pump is not running, there WILL still be power to it, and the swg, just in both cases considerably reduced. IS that of any concern?
Thanks. Hope I'm making sense.
paul

Paul,

What I know about solar, you could write on the head of a pin, but I would not think that anything would run direct from the panels. I would have assumed that the panels would feed a bank of batteries and that the voltage and current output would be the same, sun or not, until the batteries were depleted.. :confused:

The problem with having the SWCG on and the pump off, is that the cell can actually explode due to the build up of gas. I believe the chances of an explosion are rather low, but then people don't buy lottery tickets because they are hoping that they won't win... :p

If they make DC motors/pumps and SWCGs, then someone has to make a DC timer box...

Thanks,

Jim R.

thanks again Jim for taking the time to answer.
Ok, I understand a bit then about the cell. I will talk to some of the manufacturers of cells. There IS a company that markets a DC direct swg, but then it "floats" in the pool under the panel, so there is not much chance of gas buildup. However I've had emails from others that have used normal swg cells, and run them off DC direct. I think that might be the way for me to go. From what you say, the plates in the swg must produce enough Chlorine that if there isn't water flowing by the plates, carrying away the gas, then there MIGHT be a significant enough buildup of the gas to cause an explosion. PROBABLY with a system that was PV direct, this would not happen if both systems were nominally on when the sun was shining but I'll have to try to put them on a timer I guess just as a precaution. As to a DC timer. I imagine they do, but then you have to have a battery system so that the timer has power when the sun isn't shining. Since I already have AC (thru my main energy shed inverters) I think it easier just to get an AC timer, and have the DC current being the one that is turned on and off. (in case you are wondering since I have AC why not just use it? Because changing DC (from panels) to AC is wasteful of energy. And you don't really want to waste energy when you are off the grid. Also since batteries are the things that go bad, by over discharging them, then you want to guard against that. Going DC direct, not thru batteries, is the ideal way to do that, since you don't really care if the system is pumping at night, as long as it pumps well during the daylight hours.

Just for the record, and you can ignore what follows, but since you state you are not too familiar with DC systems, (I'm not a solar engineer, but I've been off the grid for 30 years, and have multiple systems, some with inverters, some not) it is my understanding that most or all swg cells are actually DC. Sure you plug the device into an AC outlet, but then there is an inverter that makes the DC, (sort of like a car battery charger, makes DC from AC) I believe the normal voltage in many swgs is about 27 volts plus or minus, so most panels have a circuit that allows take offs of 12 V, 24 V and often 48V. Since a feed of 24 V would NOT actually charge a system with 24V, (has to be higher than the actual voltage, a 24V feed is actually about 28 to 30 V. I've heard that it works fine. probably more important than the actual voltage is the amperage or wattage available. Don't want too much power or you would burn out the system. My guess is about 70 watts. I guess I'll find out.
As to pumps? Direct DC off PV? Absolutely. I've been pumping water every sunny day for 25 years, and only when the sun shines. No batteries. Batteries are great, I have them in my energy shed. I store energy for the night time, and also for larger power needs, (I run a woodshop with semi-industrial machines, all off solar). But if you can run direct, that is better. (Batteries are the things that go bad the fastest. The best way to destroy batteries? Run them to less than 80% FULL. That means that if a battery system has 1000 amp hours of energy, you should only use the top 200 hours. Every time you discharge the system below 80%, you are shortening the life of the system, the deeper you go, the faster you destroy it) . In the case of a pump for a pool, DC direct, seems ideal. You don't need to pump as much when it is colder or cloudier, or dark out. You don't need to pump as much in the winter. So sounds perfect for a PV direct. Also for the record, DC motors are usually much more efficient than AC, (certainly single phase AC) motors. They are also naturally variable speed. (which is a plus). Also "soft start" which is a big deal for pumps, making less shock on a system, is automatic for a DC direct system. Modern brushless DC motors are even better. No brushes to wear out.
Anyway, So I'm learning, thanks to many folks here on TFC. I hope to have my system in this winter. I'm starting the dozing of the site this next week. It's on a hillside, but fortunately there is a lot of shale under the dirt, so I think it will make a good base for the pool. Maybe eventually I'll know enough to be able to advise others that are off the grid.
best regards
paul

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.