Softub motor cycling on and off repeatedly

Arizonarob

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 25, 2018
Chandler Arizona
Did you find a solution? Our new soft tub just started doing the same thing. It's been on the same 20 amp gfi since july when we bought it and it's the only thing on it. all of a sudden it wont stop turning off and on...

If it’s been working just fine and now it’s not, you most likely have a problem with the pump.
Is the pump physically turning on and off, or is the display just lighting up and you hear the relays clicking?

lsbvb

Jan 21, 2021
Florida
I have the same problem. It has been running fine but is now cycling on and off rapidly in the evenings. The motor is defn kicking in.

traviss

Feb 3, 2021
Wa
Add another one to the list.

Runs just fine when the jets button is pressed, but cycles every few minutes rest of the time. No luck yet figuring it out.

Worked totally fine for just over a year now, plugged in to same outlet whole time, no extension cord

Last edited:

doohoss

Mar 7, 2021
Tiverton, RI
I am having the same issue. I bought it used so no warranty. Cycles off and on every 10 seconds or so. Brought the Hydromate to Softub and they said I needed a new pump assembly. $750 later and it is still doing the same thing! I had a 15amp circuit added just for the tub, because that is what they told me I needed. Maybe I should have went with a 20amp? Or these things are junk and I never should have bought in the first place.

LauraLee

Apr 15, 2021
Sanbornton NH
Mine is also turning on and off . Scared what my electric bill will be . Has its own 20 amp plug . Had it for two years and now all of a sudden this . HELP ? Has anyone figured it out yet . Most of these comment are from last July . Thanks

Egreppo

Jun 6, 2021
Schenectady, NY
Adding mine to the list. Same issue. Worked fine for several weeks on current circuit. Do we have any consensus on whether this is purely a circuit capacity issue or a hydromate issue?

thanks to All for any recent updates.

Olivier1

Aug 23, 2021
USA
I just got a second hand Softub 220 (C-2013 board) with this same issue. Tub would do initial heat up fine but when it's around target temperature, it would turn on for a short time, then off, and repeat maybe every 15-30 minutes. The digital temperature indicator on the controller would fluctuate every second within a range of about 6 degrees. The temperature probes and control panel were replaced by the previous owner to try and solve this issue (which it didn't). I did some troubleshooting with a multimeter and noticed voltage fluctuations across the temperature sensor terminals (red/black). I added a 10uF capacitor on both temperature sensors and that solved the issue instantly. Temperature readings are now stable and correct, tub doesn't turn on/off constantly anymore. Perhaps this can help someone else. I didn't even solder in the capacitors but just shoved them into the holders, so far so good but something more permanent might be a good idea. I'm not sure what is causing these voltage fluctuations, perhaps it's interference from the motor that's not fully accounted for in the board design.

PXL_20210822_233147070.jpgPXL_20210822_233129810.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thom9

Sep 9, 2021
Katonah, NY
Can you give me the specifications on the 10uF capacitors you installed. From my web search I see there are host of various voltages.

dunetubbies

Nov 29, 2020
Seattle
Thank you Olivier1, that worked!!! We installed capacitors as shown in your picture last night, and this morning it seems to be holding temperature just fine. Wow! I'll continue to check it and update on its performance.

tallen234

Aug 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Add one more to the list……just started this past week. It had been on an outlet for the past two years and then it started to trip the gfi. I moved it to another outlet and it stopped tripping, but a week later it started cycling….

Olivier1

Aug 23, 2021
USA
Just wondering if you guys are still having luck with your capacitor fix? I was also wondering if the size of capacitor matters?
The capacitor fix is still working great for me. I didn't test any other capacitor sizes. Different sizes will smooth the signal more/less. Since the 25v 10uF one has about 3 months of testing on my tub I'd use that one.