Softswim Conversion to Chlorine starts today

Jun 23, 2012
24
0
#1
TFP,

I've read several posts of conversions, and feel I'm ready to start dumping jugs of bleach in my pool (or course in accordance with your detailed conversion instructions). I'm familiar with "the 9 step conversion process" and the pool calculator, however I do not have the TF-100xl yet as I just ordered it. While I was at the local big box store loading up on a dozen 182 oz jugs of 6% bleach, I picked up a 3 way test kit that I feel should allow me to very easily see when the FCL level drops to below 5, signifying that I'm late to dump in another jug of bleach. I realize that the desired FCL shock level to maintain is 15, but it seems that during the first few days of conversion, or phase 1 as it is sometimes referred to, the CL gets gobbled up so quickly that I'm probably ok to go ahead and start even though it will be very difficult to monitor my FCL level accurately above 5. My TF-100 kit will be in the mail soon.

My readings as of today:
current : ideal
Softswim B 15 : 30-50
Softswim C 41 : 20
ph 7.8 : 7.4-7.8
Alk 130 : 125-150
Hardness 226 : 200-275
Temp 80
Sat 0.4 : -.3-.3
Did not test for FCL/CC/CYA etc as I have not added any.

The water is clear, though there is some sediment that needs to be vacuumed to waste. I am also concerned about having such a high amount of baqua chems still present... i suspect it will just mean more time/money/bleach will be required to eat it up. Does anyone else have any advice or recommendations before I get started? Thanks!
 
Jun 23, 2012
24
0
#4
3 jugs in so far, spaced out by 30 minutes each. Each jug should raise FC to 17 (provided it was not rapidly being consumed by all the baqua and hyrdogen peroxide. I have been testing FC 10 minutes after each jug, and each time it shows between 1 and 1.5. CC is showing off the scale (5+) as expected. Water color went from clear, to greenish, to light brown and has about 8" visibility now. Any recommendations on how often to keep adding CL? Step 4 says as often as possible, every hour if you can... should i keep up the 30 minutes pace if FC continue to indicate <15?
 

MattB

Active member
Jul 6, 2011
40
0
Chambana, Illinois
#5
beaver said:
3 jugs in so far, spaced out by 30 minutes each. Each jug should raise FC to 17 (provided it was not rapidly being consumed by all the baqua and hyrdogen peroxide. I have been testing FC 10 minutes after each jug, and each time it shows between 1 and 1.5. CC is showing off the scale (5+) as expected. Water color went from clear, to greenish, to light brown and has about 8" visibility now. Any recommendations on how often to keep adding CL? Step 4 says as often as possible, every hour if you can... should i keep up the 30 minutes pace if FC continue to indicate <15?
Add as often as you can! Every 30 minutes is good for the first day. The more time you spend at 15 FC the faster the conversion will go. When I converted last year, I was a maniac for four straight days--testing every hour for 96 hours. I was swimming after 6 days and completed the conversion in 7.

You can dilute your pool water with distilled water by half or even by a third if you want to get a more accurate FC reading until your test kit arrives. Also, you are probably going to need more bleach than what you have bought. I went through over 60 bottles of 10%, but each conversion is different.

Good luck!
 
Jun 23, 2012
24
0
#6
MattB said:
When I converted last year, I was a maniac for four straight days--testing every hour for 96 hours.
Now that is maniacal. But I guess you did get some great results... 7 days is great.

Do you recall roughly what levels of Baqua you had left when you started? How much CL did you add before it seemed to stop disappearing?
 
Jun 23, 2012
24
0
#7
Now I feel like I'm making progress... checked on pool and nice white/yellow floatie clumps have appeared and are nearly completely filling in the surface of the water. Going to go remove the scum layer and probably add some more CL.
 

MattB

Active member
Jul 6, 2011
40
0
Chambana, Illinois
#9
beaver said:
MattB said:
When I converted last year, I was a maniac for four straight days--testing every hour for 96 hours.
Now that is maniacal. But I guess you did get some great results... 7 days is great.

Do you recall roughly what levels of Baqua you had left when you started? How much CL did you add before it seemed to stop disappearing?
Yeah, I had a heck of a lot of fun doing the conversion.

I just dug out my old handwritten conversion logs from last year. Over the course of the first day I added 21 gallons of 10% chlorine. That is equivalent to 174 ppm chlorine for my pool. And that is only in the first day! It wasn't until 14 hours into it that I finally got my first 15 ppm FC reading. (remember that I was testing and adding every hour to theoretically get up to 15 ppm FC)

In short, I had a LOT of Baqua in my pool. I also was using CDX like a madman too. And oxidizer, and algaecides, and clarifiers, and flocculents and Mrs. Butterworth's Pancake syrup.....

My pool was a disaster. I look back on all of that now and just shake my head.
 

MattB

Active member
Jul 6, 2011
40
0
Chambana, Illinois
#10
beaver said:
Now I feel like I'm making progress... checked on pool and nice white/yellow floatie clumps have appeared and are nearly completely filling in the surface of the water. Going to go remove the scum layer and probably add some more CL.
Oh good! It would be great if you could post a picture or two. These conversions are often colorful and exciting shows!
 

Leebo

Admin
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Jul 21, 2011
7,837
10
Eastern Ohio
#11
Quick question....
What are the water prices in your area? Do you have the option of getting clean water? With a pool of only 5k gallons, it maybe cheaper to just dump it and start again. You'll have to shock some to kill all the goo that is hanging in the cracks, but most the water should be clean ready to go.

Just worth thinking about if it is an option.
 
Jun 23, 2012
24
0
#12
MattB said:
It would be great if you could post a picture or two. These conversions are often colorful and exciting shows!
My wife stole the camera out of town for the weekend and my phone has no flash... and it really isn't that exciting. Whiteish snot with some yellow tinge to it is how i would describe the floatees, sticks to the skimmer very well.

Leebo said:
Quick question....
What are the water prices in your area? Do you have the option of getting clean water? With a pool of only 5k gallons, it maybe cheaper to just dump it and start again. You'll have to shock some to kill all the goo that is hanging in the cracks, but most the water should be clean ready to go.

Just worth thinking about if it is an option.
I have been debating this option. Cost of water is very cheap. It would cost me about 40 bucks to dump/refill. Really the only thing stopping me is that i do not want to flood my downhill neighbors back yard.
 

Leebo

Admin
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Jul 21, 2011
7,837
10
Eastern Ohio
#13
Slip them some beer and tell them to ignore the water. :D Invite them over to a few pool parties and BBQ once you are finished.
 
Jun 23, 2012
24
0
#14
I may have to have a chat with him.

If I did drain the pool (without disturbing the vinyl and frame), i would still have roughly 2-3 inches of water in the pool based on the location of the drain plug. What do you think would be the best method for converting the remaining bit? Convert before adding water (no filter), or refill and convert? Or a combination? Such as bleaching remaining bit until I get to OCLT to 1 and then fill her up and continue conversion?
 
Jun 23, 2012
24
0
#17
First dose added this morning at 0630.

Reading as of 0645
FC 5+

Reading at 0650, 1/3 pool water, 2/3 distilled water
FC 5+ (15+ equivalent)

I realize the accuracy limitations... though I think that the best i can with what i got.

Based on having a FC reading above 1.5, it seems that the stuff is able to stick around longer. The water looks about the same, about 8" visibility, floatees still present.
 
Jun 23, 2012
24
0
#18
Everyone like pics right?

Here's a photo of the skimmer as well as the pile of caked on goo in my yard from this morning skimming.

The filter cartridge has to be rinsed hourly or so, it looks like it is covered in cake batter. I'll take a pic next time I clean it.
 

Attachments

MattB

Active member
Jul 6, 2011
40
0
Chambana, Illinois
#19
Ewww! Nasty! Keep hitting it! You might want to think about a skimmer sock to catch some of the stuff before it gets to the filter so you don't have to clean your filter as often. Nylons work great. But you can experiment with all kinds of material. Just make sure you don't restrict the flow too much--i.e. keep an eye on pump psi.
 
Jun 23, 2012
24
0
#20
2.5 days in, 15 jugs later, for a total of 270 ppm dumped in, and I've finally sighted the bottom.

The white particulate clumps that were forming and floating to the top have stopped appearing today. The water color has gone to a very light greenish blue.

I just finished vacuuming to waste a big ball of dark goo that was seeking refuge in the bottom center of the pool from the relentless onslaught of chlorine. It could no longer hide once the water began to clear, and has been terminated.

My test kit should be here tomorrow which should make things a little easier and accurate than me simply adding a jug every time the OTO tester shows dark yellow instead of orange.

I think at this point I am committed to seeing the conversion through vs dumping and refilling. $45 invested so far, not to mentioned my time.
 

Attachments