Soft Water Question - Need HELP.

You haven't supplied nearly enough information.

Is the pool plaster, vinyl, or what?

What is the hardness of your pre-softener water?

What are your current chemical readings?

Plumbers are here and I have a question. I have a water softener and backyard faucet is attached to the softener. Should i have them connect the leveler to the water softener or to the main?

I am now using soft water for my pool. Our muni water here in Chandler is about 200ppm of hardness and my soft water is 25ppm.
I have a PebbleTec pool and have seen no negative effects.

However, I have not seen an increase at all in my calcium hardness since switching over to soft water.

Please consider adding your pool info to your signature. It will help the Moderators, experts and others here to know about your pool before trying to answer questions. Please see the following link: What we need to know to answer your questions

Right now I am using a hose since switching over to soft water. However, very soon I will re-plumb my autofill to a 3-way valve. That way I can either select city hard water or my soft water depending on the situation.

Reading your build thread and seeing you are in Litchfield Park, AZ, I would connect your water leveler to the soft water. Just do not fill the pool with soft water. I have not seen any water numbers posted in the Phoenix area that would not benefit from having a water leveler connected to soft water.

I am now using soft water for my pool. Our muni water here in Chandler is about 200ppm of hardness and my soft water is 25ppm.
I have a PebbleTec pool and have seen no negative effects.

However, I have not seen an increase at all in my calcium hardness since switching over to soft water.

Please consider adding your pool info to your signature. It will help the Moderators, experts and others here to know about your pool before trying to answer questions. Please see the following link: What we need to know to answer your questions

Right now I am using a hose since switching over to soft water. However, very soon I will re-plumb my autofill to a 3-way valve. That way I can either select city hard water or my soft water depending on the situation.

Thanks for the info. I will update my signature.

- - - Updated - - -

Reading your build thread and seeing you are in Litchfield Park, AZ, I would connect your water leveler to the soft water. Just do not fill the pool with soft water. I have not seen any water numbers posted in the Phoenix area that would not benefit from having a water leveler connected to soft water.

Thanks. PB said the same. He will bring a long hose when we fill. I told the guys to connect the leveler to the spigot. They were happy they didn't have to trench all the way from the front.

It’s important to know a little about your water softener as you may need to increase your reserve volume setting (or add more frequent regenerations to the schedule). Most autofill pots only run at a trickle flow rate. Modern softeners used demand-initiated regeneration (essentially measuring total volume delivered and regenerating on a volume basis rather than the older method of a fixed schedule) and they will typically not be sensitive enough to measure the flow to an autofill pot. Therefore, if the softener capacity is on the small side, then you could experience break through where hard water gets delivered before regeneration happens.

Do you know the size of your softener and what it’s set to for delivery volume? A pool in the desert climate (I’m down in Tucson) adds about the equivalent of an extra person in your home in terms of softener volume use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.