Sodium hypochlorite vs Cal-Hypo

mfdiy

Jul 3, 2016
RI
Hello all, good afternoon! Does anyone know the stablity of dissolved cal-hypo? I’m wondering if it would be more cost effective to mix 5 gallons of cal hypo into solution and add to the pool as necessary to maintain FC.

thoughts?

21k inground vinyl pool using stenner + 12.5% bleach for pool sanitation

It is extremely unstable because of the pH. Liquid chlorine has a pH of around 12 to keep it as stable as it is. Your plan would have the pH at roughly neutral and so the chlorine would dissipate rather quickly.

I also can't imagine how this would be easier than just buying liquid chlorine or adding cal-hypo directly to the pool.

It is extremely unstable because of the pH. Liquid chlorine has a pH of around 12 to keep it as stable as it is. Your plan would have the pH at roughly neutral and so the chlorine would dissipate rather quickly.

I also can't imagine how this would be easier than just buying liquid chlorine or adding cal-hypo directly to the pool.

Because i could mix up a batch every couple weeks and let my stenner pump take care of the daily dosing. Seems like it would be much cheaper than the liquid chlorine, given the potency of cal hypo. But your remarks about stability are what i was afraid of!

By posting this thread I was able to see a related thread that addresses the specifics i was looking for. Excellent.

One pound of 73% cal-hypo contains less chlorine than a gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine. Unless you are getting cal-hypo incredibly cheap or your liquid chlorine is incredibly expensive I think it would actually cost you more to attempt this...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.