crigan01

May 21, 2023
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I opened my pool last Monday and after a few the water was a bit cloudy. PH was around 6.4 so last Friday I added around 176oz of soda ash diluted in water but all at once. Rookie mistake water got cloudy and PH and TA rapidly increased which Ive later managed to lower to normal levels using muriatic acid.

Current test numbers Taylor K-2005

FC: 0.0
CC: 0.0
pH 7.2 to 7.4 (somewhere in the middle)
CH: 170
TA: 120
CYA: 0

I can't see the bottom of the pool, even in shallow end. Ive read in other threats that the cloudy water should clear in a few days. Ive been brushing it regularly and pump is on 24/07. Should I add some pool floc to speed up the process or just wait? Also can i add some liquid chlorine since the water has none?

Thoughts?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Now it's time to focus on your FC and CYA. You'll need an ample amount of liquid chlorine to begin and ideally an FAS-DPD drop tester to go with your basic K-2005. The FAS-DPD is much more accurate for FC testing.

Once you have the FAS-DPD, you can increase the FC to the proper FC level and increase the CYA as well.

Since all you probably have is the OTO viewer to see if FC testing turns shades of yellow, can you try adding about 5 ppm worth of liquid chlorine with water circulating. Then test in 15-20 minutes to see if you get a yellow recording. This is just a temp-test. You still need the FAS-DPD,

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks for the quick response Texas Splash much appreciated! My question to you considering the pool is still cloudy from soda ash can i still add the chrlorine? I’m afraid adding anything now will make the cloudiness worse.

I would add a half gallon of acid to see if that helps.
James, the OP claims to have had an opening opening pH well below 7.0 and is currently only about 7.2 or so. Would you be concerned about the pH falling too low again?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What was the TA at the time?

How did you measure a pH at 6.4?

How high did the pH and TA go?

How much acid was added?
Hi James TA was around 110 and I got the 6.4 reading through my taylor kit. The TA climbed over 300 and PH 8.3 (it was probably way higher the color really red) I initially added dry acid that I had in hand (around 8lbs) but PH and TH were still high. Got some muriatic acid and added 32oz.

Since yesterday HC climbed from 50 to 170 so im assuming some has been absorbed by the water.

Wait for about an hour after adding the acid to recheck everything.

Brush the pool well.

At that point, begin adding the liquid chlorine for a SLAM even if the water is still cloudy.

Wait for about an hour after adding the acid to recheck everything.

Brush the pool well.

At that point, begin adding the liquid chlorine for a SLAM even if the water is still cloudy.
awesome i really appreciate the assistance. I thought i had liquid chlorine but instead i have cal hypo 73% in powder. Can i still shock the pool with it or should i get the liquid chlorine?

Hi James here's an updated water test:

FC 20
TC 20
CC 0
PH 7.4 (when i tested earlier today the PH was around 70-7.2)
TA 100
CH 200
CYA 0

I added 1/2 a gallon of acid and 1 gallon of liquid chlorine. The pool is still cloudy but slightly better than yesterday. I've been brushing the pool constantly. When i first added the soda ash the CH dropped to 50 so the calcium has slowly been absorbed by the water.

Should i add a bit more muriatic acid? Realistically speaking when should the water will clear out?

I would add another half gallon.

Keep backwashing as needed.
Hi James, just a quick update my pool looks much better I can see the bottom at the deep end, however the water is still a bit hazy/cloud.

Here's current water test results:

FC 20
TC 20
CC 0
PH 7.3
TA 90
CH 200
CYA 0

Can i add some clarifier to finish clearing out the water? I understand I also need to increase my CYA i have liquid stabilizer, but I want to know the sequence of adding the chemicals to avoid messing up the water balance.

Many thanks again for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.